Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
Illinois
City
Arcola
Hi everyone, I need your help on pain ! Since Oct. I have been having massive lower back, hip, and knee pain only when I lay down. Had X-rays, been to pain clinic, Chiropractor, and tried several pain pills ,the latest is Oxicontent. I still wake up every 15 to 20 minutes crying from the pain. X-rays showed no breaks,chips,or out of placements.Pain clinic was a waste of time and the drugs do not even touch it. I would pay for 1, 8hour ,pain free night of sleep! Any Ideas?

Hi Ms. Illini, My mother experienced a lot of pain also. She was given a time released pain patch called "Fentanyl", as well as morphine for break through pain. Hope this helps.

I experienced about a month of unbearable lower back pain during one phase of my disease, Then it vanished as mysteriously as it arrived I chalked it up to uneven muscle deterioration along the spine. I know this is not very helpful, but I just wanted you to know, you are not alone. Not being able to sleep makes everything seem even worse. Hang in there, things are bound to change.

Mike

Ms. Illini -

I was wondering how you were doing out there in the middle of nowhere. Awful sorry to hear you're having so much trouble. Wish I had some great suggestion but I'm afraid I've got none. I wonder why the pain is worse when you lie down. Can you get any better rest if you're upright like maybe in a recliner?

How are your kids doing? Are you still seeing them on the weekends? Hope you feel better soon.

Liz

what meds on?

What sleeping aids are u on? Do u have range of motion help?

Hi there,
When my lower back is aching, I will put a foam wedge shaped pillow under my knees to take the pressure off. This works pretty well. Just get the knees above your waistline.
t_33.jpg

For sleep, I take melatonin.

Good luck!

I sometimes find it uncomfortable to lie still because I have lost muscle in my back and buttocks. No cushioning, so to speak. Someone on this forum mentioned an "egg Crate" foam pad. I don't know...I guess we will just have to experiment. Are you far from major shopping areas and do you have transportation? When I fly over those cornfields it looks like there is a lot of land in between towns!

Hope you resolve the pain soon...Cindy

Hi everyone, I need your help on pain ! Since Oct. I have been having massive lower back, hip, and knee pain only when I lay down. Had X-rays, been to pain clinic, Chiropractor, and tried several pain pills ,the latest is Oxicontent. I still wake up every 15 to 20 minutes crying from the pain. X-rays showed no breaks,chips,or out of placements.Pain clinic was a waste of time and the drugs do not even touch it. I would pay for 1, 8hour ,pain free night of sleep! Any Ideas?

how many Oxi are you taking before bed time ?

Hi and welcome,
I have not seen Ms. Illini around for several years, thank's for checking on her though. I hope you join us, jump in anytime....

Ms. Ilini ... don't know if this will help, but my husband has had chronic back pain for over 20 years from spinal stenosis, plus other issues. He was on the Fentynal patch for several years, but it made him so nauseated he could not eat enough and kept losing weight.

At a pain clinic, they discontinued the patch and tried Gabapentin (Neurontin) and another strong conventional painkiller. The Neurontin did it ... it finally knocked the pain down, but made him so sleepy he was sleeping 22 or 23 hours a day! "Sommulance" is one of its side effects. So now, he takes 2 pills at bedtime instead of 3 throughout the day. If he has breakthrough pain during the day, he can take the Neurontin early and get relief.

Everyone reacts differently to meds, and I believe Neurontin is specifically for nerve pain, which is why he needs two different kinds of pain killers, but it might be worth a try.

Good luck. Sleep deprivation is one of the worst things to endure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back