Diagnosis
07/2014
Country
US
State
CO
City
Vail
Last Wednesday I went out for my first ski day of the season.

For those new to my ski adventures, I ski with Vail's adaptive ski program, about which I just cannot say enough good things. I use a biski, which is a contraption with two articulating skis, a suspension system, and a seat for me. I go out with two instructors. The lead instructor is always tethered to me, as I am unable to stop the biski on my own. The other instructor skies behind in an attempt to keep other skiers from getting too close. Both instructors are needed to load me on the ski lift.

My wife (Lori) and two good friends (Alan and Cathy) went with us. Alan is a ski instructor at Beaver Creek, a ski area about 10 miles from Vail.

The adaptive instructors for the day were supposed to be Chris and Franz (a friend). Unfortunately, Chris was sick, so the head of the adaptive program (Barbara) went out with us to get things started. She is the one in the red jacket, which indicates she is a supervisor.

After a few runs, another instructor (Dan) relieved Barbra and I skied with Dan and Franz the rest of the outing.

It was a great day. I am quite a bit weaker than last season and was more than just a bit apprehensive about how well I could handle being in the biski. I did OK, and truly enjoyed it.

We skied slower and made shorter runs for most of the day. I was able to do the equivalent of six full lift rides, which is what I could do last season.

It was a cold day and everyone got cold, including me. You probably won't see many faces in the pictures I am attaching.

Enjoy!

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_20190220_133759382.jpg
    IMG_20190220_133759382.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 559
  • IMG_20190220_134256631.jpg
    IMG_20190220_134256631.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 588
  • IMG_20190220_140054985_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    IMG_20190220_140054985_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 575
  • IMG_20190220_140057949_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    IMG_20190220_140057949_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 588
  • IMG_20190220_141425910.jpg
    IMG_20190220_141425910.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 529
Wow. How great you can get out there.

totally freaking awesome Steve - I so totally LOVE this every year as I've never even seen snow. thanks for sharing with us, it's truly a story of hope :)

Steve,

You always amaze me. I watched last year's run on YouTube and it blew me away. It looks like you definitely have the right gear for this adventure.

So freaking awesome! Thank you, Steve, for sharing your amazing day with us!!!

Jim

Amazing. So nice to get out in nature.

How wonderful. Thanks for the pictures, Steve.

Good on ya Steve.

I did similar but in the rescue sled with safety patrol friends all around.

Great!

Chally

Steve this is so awesome. I love when one of the PALS gets out and does things like this, it truly warms my heart.

Hugs

Chally, I saw your post about going down in a sled. I could not really believe it. I just don't think my body could take that! I am really glad you were able to do it. You must have some pretty great friends, which is not a surprise at all.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

It was a great time, though it took a great deal of commitment to make it happen. The night before we went skiing my wife told me the temperatures would be too cold and that I was not allowed to go. Of course, I prevailed and we went. Everyone (including my wife) had a good time. She told me that I was the only one that stayed warm (because I was so bundled up). I had so many layers on that I could barely move:).

I also want to give a big thanks to Access Unbound. That is an organization that offers scholarships for outings at our adaptive ski program. Without their substantial scholarship support I would not have gone skiing.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back