Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
DK
City
Copenhagen
Hi everyone and I’m sorry I haven’t replied to all your messages although I greatly appreciate your thoughts, experiences and input.

i continued as my mum’s full time caregiver. We never found a solution for her neck/neck collar unfortunately. She passed away last night after having been given the diagnoses a little over 2 years ago. I am absolutely devastated and I’m having a hard time managing all my grief. I know it’ll get better in time, but although my mum was ready to go, I don’t think a child can ever fully prepare to lose his or her mum. Her symptoms worsened very quickly and very much the last few days. She went from being able to hand-write and walk, wipe herself (from the front atleast) to not wanting to communicate at all and only being able to take 10 steps supported by me and a nurse. So I knew it was time. She suffered a great deal respiratory wise and she refused respiratory aid. In the end she was given a little bit of morphine to ease her tightness around the chest as she was struggling. I held her hand and stroked her cheek as she took her last breath. I told her how much I love her and how grateful I have been to have her as my mother. It was beautifully sad and something I will never forget. I’m gonna miss her so so so much as she was the most wonderful, funny and beautiful woman and mother.

My heart truly aches for everyone affected by ALS - I simply cannot comprehend the cruelty of it. I think I’m gonna need counselling and I’ll seek it as soon as I have prepared her funeral and all the other boring stuff that comes with death - atleast she didn’t have to worry about that.

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss, Siri. Your mom was lucky to have you with her, and I know that she appreciated your diligence in observing her wishes.

If you think you need counseling, I am sure it will help. We are always here for you whether you want to read or comment.

Best,
Laurie

I'm so very sorry for your loss.
I saw a counsellor regularly both while I cared for my husband and for some time after, it was really beneficial as I really felt he 'got' my situation. Don't hesitate, we need all the help we can get 💚

I'm so sorry for the loss of your mother. May her memory live strong in your heart.

My sympathy on the loss of your Mom. She was very blessed to have you as her daughter and caretaker.

Siri,

I'm so very sorry for the loss of your Mom. Know that her love for you did not end with her passing. She would want to know that you are doing any and everything that you can to take care of yourself and to find peace. Do what you need to do to find yourself, now, and know that she was as grateful to have you as a daughter as you were to have her as your Mom.

My very best to you...

Jim

Dear Siri, your mom was so fortunate to have you as her caregiver. Her passing sounds peaceful and loving. Wishing you comfort going forward from here.

V

Very sorry for your loss, Siri.

So sorry Siri! I'm guessing you might be around the same age as our daughter. The loss of her Mom has been tough for her for countless reasons. Still, about 10 months into the post-ALS journey she is finding it easier to navigate life without Mom. It will get easier Siri, but it will take time and perhaps quite some time. Our daughter has found ways to honor her Mom and incorporate her into her life even if she isn't here physically. In so many ways, she is still with us. I hope you find peace as the journey continues, and I hope the void that was created with the passing of your Mom will gradually be replaced with a heightened sense of her continued presence. You sound like an amazing daughter...Jon

My condolences for your loss. May you find peace and comfort.

Ed

What a beautiful way to go for her Siri. Her loving and devoted daughter holding her hand as she took her last breath. My thoughts are with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back