lhagsjr

Distinguished member
Country
US
State
PA
City
Philadelphia
Im 100% sure I have atrophy, its not even up for discussion but the ALS docs says no. Is there a difference between losing muscle mass and atrophy? I have lost a significant amount of muscle pretty much all over my body now.

I don't know about other people, but I have what I would consider atrophe in my left forearm. I have an indent where my muscle was (a few inches down from my elbow), but my husband does not see what I am talking about, and neither did one neurologist. But the fact is...I know what my arm looked like 6 months ago and I have had constant fasciculations in that arm, and now it is smaller and has this indent....so.....my personal opinion is that you know your own body better than anybody. Even though my weight loss has stopped, I cannot seem to build that muscle back and I have been trying, believe me, but my arm is just not the same shape anymore. I also have very flat palms with indents in those also....usually where my aches begin (they go palm, spread to forearm, and then to upper arm shoulder). Hope that helps a little or, at least now if you determine you are crazy, than you are not crazy alone...I am crazy right along side of you....:mrgreen:

Lou, there's definitely a difference between losing muscle mass and atrophy. The loss of muscle mass can happen to anyone. One of the biggest reasons for the loss of muscle mass is disuse. I know that when I worked in the health club, members would go through stages where they would work out heavily and build muscle and then take a break for a while and lose it all. It's the same thing. If you haven't been feeling good and have loss of stamina, you probably aren't using your muscles as much.

Les

How can u tell if the muscle loss is do to disuse or is true atrophy?

I think that muscle loss due to deconditioning makes the muscle not only look smaller than it used to, but also kind of mushy or jello-like, jiggly. Atrophy, on the other hand, I think is when the fibers become necrotic and smaller causing the dents and shrinkage. I know if my son stops exercising his arms are smaller and he becomes mushy, just like I have!

I don't know about other people, but I have what I would consider atrophe in my left forearm. I have an indent where my muscle was (a few inches down from my elbow), but my husband does not see what I am talking about, and neither did one neurologist. But the fact is...I know what my arm looked like 6 months ago and I have had constant fasciculations in that arm, and now it is smaller and has this indent....so.....my personal opinion is that you know your own body better than anybody. Even though my weight loss has stopped, I cannot seem to build that muscle back and I have been trying, believe me, but my arm is just not the same shape anymore. I also have very flat palms with indents in those also....usually where my aches begin (they go palm, spread to forearm, and then to upper arm shoulder). Hope that helps a little or, at least now if you determine you are crazy, than you are not crazy alone...I am crazy right along side of you....:mrgreen:

Midnight, is that indent inbetween the muscle that goes from: (bottom of the elbow to the tricep) and (the muscle that is on top of your forearm from the muscle listed above to you wrist). If so, i have the same indent. Its from your forearm muscle shrinking. My mom even noticed it. My wife keeps telling me i've had that indent since i started showing her. Mine is deep.

BTW, i spoke to anthoer person today. Bulbar onset, sx for 4 years. ALS docs told her...NO ALS for years. All her EMG's normal to this day. Now...she has Bulbar ALS. These docs have no clue and their won't be treatements out on this for years to come. Sorry guys, just my pessimistic view

Rgds,

Jamie

I don't know, she had to get off the chat room before i could ask all the questions. She will be back.

All i know she is ALOT like me, even the chills.....GREAT!

t/c

jamie

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back