Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
NY
City
Manhattan
Hi everyone, so first I want to say I feel very sorry who goes through this horrible disease. I just have symptoms close to Als and just want to know from a professional who knows this disease if it is close to Als. I am 17 years old just turned, Caucasian.

My first symptoms were muscle twitching, it started from march and it is happening occasionally, lately it has stopped not fully but it is not twitching like before. I had twitches mostly on my right arm, my calf and lately abdomen muscles. Then it went away and I was relaxed for a little bit, then started my cramps, pain in my arms, legs. So I went to see a rheumatologist in April for my pain and she examined me she told me i look good and told me to wait for 3 months if any more symptoms appear. So i went home and i was relaxed for a week .

Then my hands started to feel heavy and got tired very quick. I knew this was from my sport but again my mind was focused on Als. This symptoms faded away too.

Not even 1 week ago from now i started to feel throat tension. I can swallow food and liquid but i feel like food gets stuck in my throat, my diaphragm or the thing under your chest i don't know what it is called hurts a little bit. I don't think i have slurred speech because when i talk i always ask the person who i am talking to if i speak funny or i have slurred speech and none of them thank god said no. I sometimes feel like i am slurring but that can be just me inside my head again. i am not American sorry.

My breathing is fine mostly, but what is bothering me is that i feel like like when i swallow my saliva it does not go down completely it just gets stuck in my throat and i need to swallow a couple of times for it to go down. And then i realized it can be from allergies so right at this moment i am taking allergy medication to see if it would help. My twitching is happening when i am sitting in front of my computer with the same position. My eyelid started to twitch too but just the eyelid at the moment. I have no one in my family that had Als so familial Als is out of the picture.

I don't have muscle atrophy, no weakness at all like none, the new symptoms are eyelid twitching, throat tension, saliva getting stuck in throat. Food also but not all the time, i can drink normally. Muscle twitching very very rarely.

My sleeping is very bad but i am trying to fix that now, i rarely drink water, my diet is not bad i think. I think i have health anxiety but of course my mind is somewhere else all the time because new symptoms arise every time. I am very very sorry for taking your time i know that you have met lot of people like me but i just want a simple opinion. Please respond when you can and tell me the whole truth please if there is something wrong with me. Again sorry for taking your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you answered your own question very well. You have health anxiety, but not ALS. Working on sleep, diet, stress and everything you already know affects your health can only help. But if the anxiety threatens to take over your life, or interfere with activities, then it is time to find someone to talk with about that, perhaps at your school or somewhere that is recommended. Your parents or other trusted adults in your life can also help you if you let them know that you need support.

Eye twitching often improves with eye drops morning and night. When your throat does not feel right, it is good to drink whatever non-alcoholic drink you like better than water. Hydration helps twitching, too, as does taking frequent computer breaks, getting good walks in, etc.

Health anxiety can be disabling, but like many conditions, it is easier to address if you do it early.

Best,
Laurie

Again sorry for taking your time if you can just answer this one thing that i have i would highly appreciated it . Thank you very much for replying, one more thing that I have is mild constipation and my nose feels heavy like there is something there but nothing is coming out, and i think i have a little bit slurred speech but nobody realizes that and again that may be just in my head, breathing is sometimes feels heavy, sometimes normal but the thing is when like i forget about this things it feels like everything goes back to normal. Also when i eat and i finish i start to burp not a lot but this never happened before. I just burp randomly too. I am just scared because earlier today i googled Juvenile ALS and that facial symptoms showed up and the very first time I knew there was Juvenile Als so that got me scared a lot more. Sorry i have no control over this that is why i came to you but i will try to take this under control.

Please son, go tell this to a doctor and get help, you can get past this.

I think it's best to bring your fears to your parents or a counselor. What you are describing is not indicative of the onset of ALS. However, your symptoms do indicate anxiety as they are all over your body and, thinking about an area of your body seems to bring on symptoms to that area.

Please, go bring these fears to your parents. You're too young to allow health anxiety to rule your life.

Thank you so much for responding, I just have the throat symptom but i think it is getting better and my eye twitching got better too I am just scared cause I read a lot about this disease and its really scary sometimes i feel im weak sometimes i feel i am not walking normally sometimes i feel i have slurred speech but i just feel that, i don't know sometimes i feel like my tongue is going backwards on its own i know it sounds stupid but there is no other to explain it. Thank you so much for responding again and i wish you all the best. I will try not to think about this disease. Thank you

Mod note- closing thread. ShadowStorm, please make sure to find so help with your anxiety while you work with your doctor. There are a few online resources- No More Panic is a great forum and has a specific section for those worried about ALS in particular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back