Status
Not open for further replies.
So what is the best advice for somebody getting an EMG in order to carefully and tactfully direct their doctor? What are the specifics?

How many muscles should we insist on?
How many needles per muscle?
Any other info?

In my case they excluded my worst limb (left arm) from EMG test on purpose: "to save it for muscle biopsy if one is needed". I did not ask what it all means, but I would not submit t the muscle biopsy in any case.

Just wondering why you would not have the muscle biopsy? Your turning down a chance for diagnosis and maybe a cure....that's what we all want for you.

ptich said:
In my case they excluded my worst limb (left arm) from EMG test on purpose: "to save it for muscle biopsy if one is needed". I did not ask what it all means, but I would not submit t the muscle biopsy in any case.

If your doctors are telling you that a muscle biopsy is advisable, DO IT - through biopsy my doctors were able to determine that I have a muscle disease/metabolic myopathy. Unforunately for me, this is IN ADDITION to, not instead of, the motor neuron disease - but if there is a chance they can identify something that may be treatable or at least less unpleasant than ALS, then the muscle biopsy is well worth it.

They took a big 3/4inch square chunk out of my leg - procedure was not a big deal & from my experience if you stick with the pain meds as long as you need them, recovery isn't too bad. I was off pain meds within 5 weeks & had absolutely no lingering discomfort of any kind within 8 weeks & this was on my leg that I was walking on.

Ask your doctors if they think the biopsy would be helpful & if so, by all means do it - I really doubt anyone here would advise you otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back