Diagnosis
05/2020
Country
US
State
CO
City
Westminster
I was diagnosed 5/2020 and my only symptoms were foot drop, leg weakness and fatigue. (Like that wasn't enough!) I have been progressing with more paralysis of entire leg these past 4 months. I don't seem to recognize any clues / signs, if my body provides any. I can feel "less steady, more fatigue" on some days which doesn't seem to have much correlation to my activity the previous day. However, today, using my walker I walked maybe 10 steps and SUDDENLY realized my 'good' leg was NOT going to hold me up. So, yes, I fell. ARE THERE SIGNS I'M NOT RECOGNIZING?

Thanks for any advice.

So sorry you fell, this is the sign you needed to tell you that walking is not safe anymore, and the days you knew you were not steady were signs that things are progressing.

What you describe is typical. Muscles are losing function and others are compensating, then a tipping point is reached and the compensating muscles can't manage. Sometimes you find things becoming slowly harder, sometimes it seems sudden. Staying safe and not falling is really important, but that may not mean you can't get on your feet at all anymore.

We all wish the path through this was really clear and signposted.

My husband had many falls, and in between he would walk 'well enough'. But when a leg would give way it was sudden, without warning, and he had no way to break his falls and went down hard. Please don't go that path and end up with serious injuries.

it happens suddenly, without warning, pain, anything... every day i stand up and make few steps to reach a walker, but finally, that moment came - as i stand up, i made a step and fell...

We are all different but if you are falling without warning then as Tillie says you need to do something else Since you have a walker the next step is a wheelchair. I am terribly sorry. However a wheelchair can open up a new world. Medicare generally pays for one mobility device every five years. That should be a power chair. Talk to your clinic if you haven’t already. In the meantime see if you can get a loaner from alsa or whatever organization there is in your area.

I would say yes, there are signs your not recognizing .I feel that anything out of the ordinary are signs of progression ,a fall is certainly a sign that you have to recognize and exercise more caution. ALS is all about progression and the signs are to be taken seriously. Sorry to have to say that but there is nothing nice about ALS.
Al

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back