Diagnosis
06/2011
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
St. Catharines
To those that have a wheelchair accessible van, do you think side or rear access is better?
Thanks a bunch,
Casey

I can only tell you about side access vans. I participated in a test drive of an MV– 1, a Hummer size vehicle with a side ramp that allows a wheelchair user easy access to the front passenger side. The entry and exit are fairly easy, however, the wheelchair felt like it was placed much too close to the windshield. The interior is plain and makes the vehicle over priced at $40 K USD. I settled for a used GMC Van with side entry power lift. It is not easy to get into because you have to back onto the lift platform. Getting out you drive forward past the point where you can see the platform beneath your feet, making it feel like a Ferris wheel ride. Now that I am using a head array I'm really uncomfortable with the entry and exit processes.

We have a side entry access van. Makes it easy loading & unloading. I know that rear entry vans, you are able to park in any parking space. You don't have to wait on a handicap accessible space. It's just depends on personal preference.

Side or rear wheelchair entry?
Rear entry

Allows the wheelchair user to get in without maneuvering to turn the chair.
Rear entry limits the seating available for other passengers.
Rear entry eliminates the problem of being blocked from using the lift by other parked cars, but requires loading and unloading in the traffic lane of a parking lot.

Side entry

Requires turning the chair to face the front. Riding sideways is unsafe as well as nauseating.
Requires about 6-8 feet of space along side to get in or out. Another car parking too close can require moving the van to get back in. That is a mere nuisance if you are a wheelchair passenger, but if you are still driving yourself it leaves you stranded.

ALS: From Both Sides

Thanks guys, ive only tried a rear loading taxi and seemed easy.

We have a Ford Transit Connect. - rear entry. I was initimidated initially having to back down the ramp blind - so far - so good. A Transit would be too small for your family though. It fits only 2 passengers + PWC.

We have a side entry Toyota Sienna XT. My husbands chair is quite high, and he is tall so we required the XT. He does have to back in, but goes out forward, and sits in the passenger side. There is room to fit 3 more passengers, so is good for a family. Is a bit of a pain to find handicap parking where I can lower the ramp, but I often drive half way in, deploy ramp, unload husband then park all the way in.

Casey If you can go to a mobility dealership and test both. Our local place actually let us test drive one over night. we ended up with a sienna side entry.

Casey!

We just bought a van 2 months ago. So much money! As you know. Rear entry's are cheaper. The big negative our friends mentioned with rear entry was the pwc sits towards the back and feels 'alone'. Didn't know about 'backing out'. ottawagirl, you're my hero! :). We bought a side entry. I can go forward on the ramp, turn in a tight circle as soon as I hit the top of the ramp, and dock in the passenger seat. I can undock, backup just out of the docking station, tight circle, and go forward down the ramp. The docking station and pin on my pwc cost about $500 more. Took about 2 weeks before I stopped hitting everything in the van. :). We like to park at the end of the row of parking spaces so no one can 'block us in'. With me in the pwc we don't worry about the extra walking distance.

We bought a used rear entry 2007 dodge caravan with low milage and in great shape. It has 2 single seats in the back, which I can line my PWC I enjoy it very much. yes, you have to get used to backing out of the van but once you get that down its all good. The seats straps (est. 500.00) came with the van.tyj! We bought because of parking and it was on budget for us. :)

We are just starting our search & have decided on side entry. I have always gotten car sick if I'm not in the front, so rear entry won't work for me.

Really like the idea of the docking station.
I will be pushing for the rear entry now, I just realized if I split the kids up, they might get along!
Im glad technology is where it's at, so we have some choices.
Cheers,
Casey

Casey, don't count on that making a difference with the kids. We had a minivan with back captain seats with the space to enter the back seat in the middle. One day I heard the oldest yell at his brother to stop looking out his window.

Just some comments on parking and unloading with the two styles of vans. Which works better depends on where you park.

I find that in Newfoundland most of the parking in St. John's is parallel parking next to a curb. A rear-entry van would be next to useless there. In Arizona, on the other hand, most parking is in lots which offer plenty of disabled parking with ample ramp room next to the van as well as conventional right angle parking so either style of van works here. As Zoohouse points out, if you have another driver, right angled parking is not a problem. The driver just pulls half way in, lowers the ramp to let you out and then pulls in the rest of the way. It's safer too, the van shields you from oncoming traffic. The thought of repeatedly backing out of the rear of a van into traffic gives me the chills.

The other biggy of course is whether you drive or want to ride in the front. I don't believe the rear unloaders offer that capability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back