Diagnosis
11/2007
Country
US
State
NY
City
Woodside
Can you shower with a PEG? I'm new to this since my mother in law just got hers. She has difficulty walking and standing so she showers while sitting on a bench. Is this going to be a problem now that she has the PEG?

Hi Sima- we covered this before...If I can find the thread(s) I will post the links. Meanwhile, try a search on the subject form the tab at the top of this screen.

Hi Sima -

My PALS has had a PEG for 2 years. They told her to wait about 2 weeks before getting it wet. She has been bathing (submerged in a tub) ever since. I have heard of people with PEGs who go swimming. I shower would be even easier on the PEG, I would imagine.

We have never had any problems with the PEG - good luck inyour case. Beth

Showering w/PEG

Husband showered every day with PEG. In fact, I insisted on his daily cleansing with dial soap to avoid any infection and it is very important to keep the PEG clean daily. We were told to shower and this does keep this open wound cleansed from bacteria and dry.

Another ALS patient shared with us to use the antibacterial soap, Dial soap, so it does work.

Hugs,
Caroliney

Hi,
My wife has a PEG and she showers daily, has bath's and goes swimming with no problems.
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back