Diagnosis
11/2010
Country
US
State
FL
City
Fort Walton Beach
we have been using the ol generic upr right seat showerchair/toiletseat. It had always been a tight fit and now that transfers are difficult and honey cand adjust himself in the chair so I can clean and reach places I am thinking a recliening showerchair is needed.
BUT I don't want to keep replacing it. so I am thinking it needs a head rest too.
this one was offered to us but I am trying to make sure it will work. my concerns are
1. that his legs will not be stay on the extened leg rest as they tend to flop outwards
2. that the transfer board will not hook on to the pcv to stabilize transfers.
3. there isn't a proper head rest for later down the road
4. it is only 20" wide, only one inch wider than the seat we currently have which is a VERY snug fit

very much appreciate your input, thanks
193 MJM International Corporation

We use the tilt in space tub buddy, and its height can be adjusted, the arms have a large trough, and will swing up and out of the way. It has a great head rest, and the foot rest also swing out of the way. There is a seat belt and the chair itself is very sturdy. check it out at Wal mart . com, where you can get it a lot cheaper than at medical supply stores. There is also a shower buddy that is the same with some differences.

have you a link. all I can find is bath buddy toys! ugh!

I posted the link
but it went to moderator. If you google shower buddy commode chair, you should find it.

got it, thanks, that is the one I found but I don't see were they have if for sale through walmart?

Thanks for posting this it may prove helpful in the future.

Rick

Thanks Paulette, that looks good. I have been thinking about replacing our upright one also. Before I bought our standard one, we got one just like the first link posted--we returned it. (from the ALSA loan closet). We found it hard to get in and out of because of the fixed leg rest. The back was high like a head rest though.

Does your chair have a bucket or do you put it over the toilet? we have to use a bucket as the toilet is not possible to access.

Barbie this links as a several picture to show how it can be used. it rolls right over the toilet!
I am thinking I can put him on the shower chair from the bed in the morning and roll right to the toilet, from there to his chair for the day, therefor getting rid of the 2 transfers, on and off the toilet, which have become miserable!
1800wheelchair.com | View More Images

Barbie, it comes with a bucket, that is elongated like the seat, which does give the guys a little more room to urinate. Since my husband has very little core strength he tends to slouch, so an elongated seat is a must. I have used several commodes as you can imagine, and really like this one. Tim especially likes the seat belt, as he slipped out of his chair, while having a shower by his care giver. I am tall, so I like that it adjusts to a height that means I don't have to bend much to get to the business end of things. It is also very sturdy, and not the least bit tippy. I could not find it on the walmart site, but did find it on amazon. The only thing is that the one on Amazon didn't have the trough arm rests which is so nice, when they lose their arm strength. I highly recommend arm troughs, because it holds their arms when they are tilted back.

If I may, we are transitioning to a wheelchair, ( and we I say that, I mean still in the process of me convincing him we need to look into a wheel chair), but some of the questions him and I both have are, Would we need a lift in the bathroom as well as bedroom, and how do you get the bottom clean? I mean I know that the chair over the toilet will have a space there, ( I think) I'm just not sure how all this is going to work? Any insight is greatly appreciated.......
I'm also thinking, we should get one of those seats that slide over into the shower from the toilet. Anyone have experience with those, or does the majority prefer the tub buddies? He has very little core strength as well. Thank you all, p.s I am getting ready to move the sink in the bathroom, and demo a wall to make the entrance bigger, and I think I'm gonna do it all myself......... Lol, so you all stay posted for a good laugh!( or to help me through a nervous break down.. Hehehehehe)

Oh my gosh, I'm such a ditz sometimes, I posted without clicking on previous links........ Sorry, question answered.... ;)

Yes you will need a lift for both the toilet and the bed. Some use a portable hoyer lift, but I find the ceiling lift much easier, especially if there is any carpet. You will need a hygiene sling with a high back for neck support. I leave my husband in his sling while on the toilet, (we do not use the commode for that as we have a bidet) and that supports him completely. When he has had his BM, I turn on the bidet, and it washes him. I use a fairly small amount of TP to dry him and make sure he is clean, then transfer him back into his chair.

Good for you on doing your own renovations. I love demoing walls, and have done much of my own reno's in the past. Didn't do anything this time, as we built a new house. Have you had an OT come to your home to give you suggestions? They are great at helping you get things set up, and at figuring out what you will need, and where to get it.

Paulette

Does the TubBuddy qualify as durable medical equipment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back