02/2019
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Marblehead
Hello everyone!

I have been using the aqua-guard 7x7 dressing cover since having a hickman catheter placed. These last about 30 seconds in the shower. That includes no direct water spray. This has become very fustrating to say the least! Any thoughts?

Chuck

I wonder if the 7X7 is too small for you. I use an Aqua-Guard 9X9 to cover my port when the access line is in place. I have had this issue. The cover has always remained secure with no leaks. My port is located in the middle of the upper right side of my chest.

Thanks for your suggestion. I will try a 9x9 and see what happens!

Chuck

Good luck with the 9x9's. The VA provides them for us and I find that the glue strip goes to far up my neck or too far over my shoulder and wants to peel off when washing your hair. The 7x7's seem a better fit for me but my wife puts a piece of tape along the top edge so at least water doesn't come in that way. The glue strips on Aqua-Guards are just flat out weak. What a cheap a$$ product. And for what you have to pay for them...I wouldn't trust them to cover up a left over bowl of spaghetti. They really need some better adhesive!

Nick, you are exactly right! I ordered some shower guard brand to see if they are any better,

9x9 too big. Guess I will have to figure something else out.

Chuck , I, like most people, like to shower everyday. I don't know that we all need one everyday. But I make sure I shower before my port is activated and then I'll skip showers during my 10 day cycle. A piece of good sticky tape across the top of the shower guard and a good secure dressing that should be covering your port also ( she'll put an extra piece of tape on that cover also at the start of the cycle and leave it there for the duration) should seal you up pretty good.

Chuck, I use the Aquaguard 7x7 as well. I find that putting plastic medical tape around the four sides, overlapping on the corners, works great. I can wash hair with shampoo and water running over it and have no problem. I often stand with the hot shower running on my shoulders for an extended period of time-still sticks.
Cathy

Thanks Cathy! I will give that a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back