Diagnosis
01/2016
Country
US
State
IL
City
Gurnee
Could anyone please recommend a quality shower commode chair (on casters/wheels) that would be fairly reasonably priced? Thank you.

Does it need to break down for travel? Recline? Can you deal w/ a regular size seat (~17x18?) Is it for a normasl-size roll-in shower? Is it going over a regular or elongated toilet? How tall are you? The very cheapest are very cheap PVC types. Got a budget? Padding is important. Will you be using a Hoyer for transfers?

Thanks for your quick response. The chair is for my husband who was recently diagnosed. He is 5'10" and the regular seat should be fine. The chair does not need to break down for travel. As for now, a recline is not necessary but don't know about down the road. Also don't know about the Hoyer for down the road. The toilet that will be used is elongated. We are currently looking into making our current shower base a roll-in. We can be flexible with price but at the same time are overwhelmed with the expenses (home modifications, medical, mobility vehicle, ramp . . .) Thanks so much for your input.

I tried to attach a picture... I'm not sure if it worked.

The main disadvantage in the commode/shower chair my mother used was that the arm rests did not move up and down. This made transferring much more difficult than it need to be, especially as her abilities declined. I would seriously consider looking for a chair with removable or movable arm rests.

The one nice thing about the chair we used was that it had the large (Wheelchair) wheels in the back. It made it safer when we went over the lip of the shower.

Erin

Attachments

• swcc1.JPG
    swcc1.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:
A quick look at Medicare's DME list shows it does cover a commode chair, but a search for shower chair coverage comes up empty. I guess then that it is still true that to get it covered it will have to also function as a rolling commode and has to be filed under the coding for a commode, not a shower chair. In order to get the best shower chair for longer term use you will want the recline and flip up/removable armrests that may not be available on a commode chair. In fact, I can't imagine being comfortable for long on the toilet seat ring a commode would have. You might want to look for a good shower chair and pay for it yourself rather than settle for an uncomfortable commode chair. In fact, I would be inclined to go for an overhead lift in the bathroom and a showering sling instead. That is better for long term use in ALS.

You will eventually need a shower chair that tilts in space with head rest and belts. In the meantime if you want an inexpensive shower commode chair check thrift stores. I learned this while caring for my mom.

Another thought--we have a bidet and the commode chair won't fit over the toilet. We use the pan under the shower chair if there's no time for the lift

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back