Diagnosis
06/2007
Country
US
State
ca
City
novato
We got a shower chair slide system (that slides over the bathtub side) on loan from our local MDA Assoc. It is made from PVC material.

The detachable chair fits over the toilet also. Do other PALS use it for toileting ? Does that work well ?

We are also planning on getting a Toto washlet. Will the bidet feature still work if I'm sitting on the shower chair ?

Anyone have this chair

Anyone else?

I'm very interested in your experience with the sliding bath chair system, and any other info from others. I'm thinking that the chair would enable me to use our shower in the bathtub for a while before having to remodel the entire bathroom. I'm still able to stand to shower by hanging on to a support bar, but it is getting difficult to step over the side of the tub.

Lonna and John-

We had an over-the-tub shower system on loan from the ALS Closet. It did come in handy for a couple of things.

We used it for toileting from time to time. This might sound a little odd, but we simply put a bucket underneath it.

But it was great for my mom to use in the shower. Sometimes she would face the spray, others she would let it hit her back. As she got weaker it became more difficult because she'd slump over. And she'd get slippery! I was often worried that she'd just slip right down (even with the chest strap which was awesome). But while she was able, it was such a blessing. She hated the process of getting her from the bed to the chair and would often have to get out rather quickly from tailbone pain, but the hot water she LOVED. We used a transfer board to go back and forth, which can be pretty painful on a nude body! But we tried PAM to grease it up. Unsuccessful and totally hilarious. Turns out, baby powder was the best and slipper her back and forth. The hoyer couldn't get her into place as easily.

(And again, I hope this isn't too "real" but the hot water helped with her constipation as well!)

TMI? Maybe. But thought I'd share!

Kaija

I've only seen the Toto brochures but my guess is that it won't work with a shower chair or commode chair. I know of a member here that has one. Hopefully they'll see this and respond.

AL.

Tall John, I have a ToTo Washlet and simply LOVE it! We tried to use it from the chair like you were asking, but it did not work too well. The angle of the spray is wrong and it just did not work.
So, what we did was put a "Toilevator" under the toilet base, it raised it 3.5 inches which turned out to be perfect height. It does mean you have to transfer to the toilet from whatever you are currently being transported in.
I live all day in my powerchair so when I have to use the toilet I just back in beside it and with help I transfer. I also have a vent so I need to park close so the hose reaches. Even when I need to use a lift we will still do it this way.

Al is right when he said "I've only seen the Toto brochures but my guess is that it won't work with a shower chair or commode chair. "

To Lonna and Joel

Lonna: I did the same as you for a time, but it got too tough (slippery). The one I'm using retails for $2k. Try to get a loaner. We will remodel, but this bought some time !

Joel: That's the feedback I needed. Thanks.

To Joel

Do you buy the seat and toilet as a set or can you buy the seat alone, to fit on any toilet ?

You just buy the seat. You can get them in either regular or elongated and I would recommend the elongated. We purchased a new toilet that was elongated and then purchased the Toto Washlet. It was in the $1000.00 range when we were finished and the Toilevator was $75.00 After researching we decided the Toto was the best one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back