Reason
Friend was DX
Country
US
State
Tennessee
City
Memphis
I am taking care of a friend of mine with ALS. Except for a few fingers, she is unable to move below the neck. The last several days she has complained of severe shoulder pain, and it almost appears her shoulders, at least her left one, may be dislocated. Is this something common that occurs with the decreased muscle tone? Is there any kind of shoulder brace that would help support her shoulders?
Thanks in advance for any ideas. I get some much knowledge and encouragement from this site.
Stacy

physical therapy works for that and massage helps It just part of the muscles that are gone and the shoulders are inmobile.

Patricia,
Thanks for your reply. The PT is supposed to be coming out this week and I will ask about specific excersises we can do. Stacy

When my husband began to have shoulder pain, the first thing the neurologist did was to raise the arms on his wheelchair. They were too low and were allowing his shoulders to "drop". We also included physical therapy exercises to help.

Kathy

Hi Stacy. I was told by the OT a while back that it is easier to pull a shoulder out of joint because of the atrophied muscle not holding it as firmly as it did before. This can be pulled out whilt turning the patient in bed or lifting them. If you think it looks dislocated and is painful it might be out of joint and should be looked at.
AL.

Thanks so much for all your replys. I appreciate all the information!
Stacy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back