Diagnosis
11/2012
Country
US
State
Missouri
City
St. Louis
I have weakness on one side, and I have developed pain in that shoulder joint. It hurts to raise my arm, or if someone pulls me by the arms from sitting to standing. Range of motion is getting very restricted. It hurts at night unless I support the arm. The other shoulder joint has a hint of the same pain but not a problem yet.

I wonder if it's because the shoulder muscles are weak.

Any PALS have a similar joint pain problem?

Last edited:
"Frozen shoulder" (adhesive capsulitis). Is a very common complaint as the supporting musculature weakens and atrophies.

never allow your caregivers to pull you up by the arms! It's past time for you to change your method of transfer. PALS should never put their arms around someone's neck to assist in transfers. The result can be soft tissue injuries that will cause them a great deal of pain and loss of function. Our joints cannot help to support our body weight without help from the surrounding muscles.

Passive ROM exercises with the joints fully supported can help. See if your doc will order some in home PT for you, not for strengthening, but to reduce pain and to maintain functional ROM. PT can train your caregivers how to do this and also how to move you safely.

Some PALS have to take medication for the pain.

Some other discussions on this can be found in the archives.

Please be careful!

Ditto what Deb said.

have a MRI lately? I have degenerative and bulging disks in my cervical area. this is quite painful.

You may also have a torn rotator cuff, very common in PALS. A BIG steroid shot will help.

My PT and. OT both say that just the weight of your arm hanging down, unsupported can contribute. Some have to wear a sling to keep the weight of the arm off of the compromised shoulder. Subluxation is common.
If you're in a PWC make sure that the arm rests are at the proper height to give adequate support.

My Bob had that too - when he lost use of one arm. He was in so much pain but ROM, twice a week plus our own little exercises really helped. Bob also took one Aleve everyday, which provided relief. And yes, what Deb said in her comments. Very important to have good support although a sling was not recommended for Bob. Yasmin.

No with me, but I think You need to examine your bone that may decay or any special bone may be enlarging.

Thanks, everyone. The pain became acutely obvious only last weekend. I think I need a PT to show active and passive ROM exercises.

Bad Balance, I have cervical and lumbar disc herniations. Mostly the lumbar discs cause me a lot of pain. The cervical herniations confused early symptom progression.

Bob, are you registered with ALSA and the MDA/ALS division in your state?
They will each provide you with printed Caregiver Guides. They contain a wealth of information. Basic ROM is illustrated as well as information on tools and equipment that PALS and CALS may have to use a some point. (And so very much more)
If you are attending an ALS Clinic, the PT and OT there can give you some tips or make recommendation for an in-home assessment.

i depend on rom with very light weights to help eliminate pain in goints. when first starting it is necessary to work through some initial pain but after stretched out they feel fine. keep weight low and listen to your body but attempt to work through some inital pain. one year ago i fell and fractured two ribs, last week i passed out and fell again and fractured two ribs (other side) but plan to bounce back and continue to do rom with weights. still believe diet, exersize, supplements has helped extend my life expectancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back