Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
Scotland
City
Glasgow
Hi all, have been a lurker on here over the last few days and decided to finally post as I've been greatly worrying about some symptoms I've been having and am terrified I have ALS.

In the interests of full disclosure, I have suffered from health anxiety for many years (I am a 32 year old male) and for the last 14/15 years have had a variety of neuro symptoms on and off (tingling, weakness (mainly left sided), twitching tight muscles etc.) however having read the symptoms experienced by others with health anxiety had ultimately put it down to anxiety.

That said, last week I woke up in the morning with a strange sensation in my right shoulder (I think I may have woken up with it being numb during the night) and my right arm was virtually useless for the rest of that day. I could barely type and use my mouse, and initially just assumed I had pinched a nerve or a prolonged dead arm.

The sensation in my shoulder hasn't gone away fully and it still feels kind of dead/sleepy. My right arm and hand has continued to feel weak and I've had some cramping on my right forearm. I also noticed that my right bicep and shoulder were smaller and less defied than my left, despite me working out fairly regularly and my right hand having been my dominant one.

What really got me worried (and googling my symptoms) was last week I dropped by mobile phone from my right hand a couple of times and at football last night I bent over to try tie my lace during the game and it took me quite a while to do so. It was a particularly cold night which obviously affected my hands, but nevertheless it was the first time I'd been aware of this. In general my right hand has felt kinda clumsy since I woke up with the weird sensation, and I'm now getting really scared. I'm not sure if I'm just dweling on this or whether this is an early onset of weakness/fine motor issues. I have found tonight when I was using a mouse or screwdriver my forearm felt tight and slightly crampy, albeit that I was able to undertake these tasks.

I know some of my questions have been covered by the forum sticky but what I want to know is do these, fairly nebulous I know, recent symptoms suggest ALS and did anyone's symptoms come on like these at all?

I apologise if the above has been repeated verbatim by posters over the years and given my previous health anxiety there is a 'boy crying wolf' aspect, however I am genuinely worried and would appreciate some thoughts. I'm amazed and in awe of the courage and bravery of PALS and CALS on here. Recently in Scotland there has been 2 high profile cases (in local sport and politics) which has generated a lot of publicity for this disease and what sufferers go through.

Thanks for reading

As you wrote, ("I apologise if the above has been repeated verbatim by posters...")

Yes, by a very strange coincidence (or not), it's nearly copy, paste to Word, cut, re-phrase a few things, copy and paste here. Even the salutation, paragraphing structure and closing. We've seen so many lately just like yours.

Funny you mentioned that. But whatever...

I have felt the same way as AL. These posts are getting more and more identical everyday. You think they could use a little more creativity in their posts.

Kim,

He did admit he's been a lurker which would leave me to surmise he's read the replies to these oh so familiar Threads (as he said, "repeated verbatim"), posting his overly detailed difficulties (symptoms) and admitted anxiety would probably return him the same replies of the others. But... he did so let the replies commence. You never know.

David and others with health anxiety histories:

Given the mind's propensity to play tricks with the body, it is unlikely that you will report anything we can confirm as "potentially" MND apart from clinically-validated or at least third-party-validated atrophy or weakness, that is consistent, daily and does not wax and wane.

If it is clinically-validated, then you are already in a diagnostic process and should proceed with it. If you have not yet seen a physician but multiple contacts have affirmed consistent weakness and/or atrophy, then you should see a physician.

Episodic numbness, tingling, stiffness, temperature sensitivity and/or pain are often the mind's exaggerated response to the everyday twinges and glitches that everyone has. ALS is a disease of motor, not sensory neurons, and thus a history in which ongoing motor dysfunction is not front and center is not consistent with ALS.

Your symptoms are very real to you, and to minimize your suffering, your anxiety should be treated by a qualified professional. We wish you all the best in doing so.

lgelb, that was a thoughtful, thorough and sensitive response and so appropriate to so many of our DIHALS posters. Well articulated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back