Status
Not open for further replies.
Something wrong here with posts lost indeed :)

As 4 Naranja (we share part of name), i had foot drop too at first, it IS important to have the cause checked! Chances are 99 % or so it is NOT ALS, of course not.. BUT you want to know what DOES cause it to heal! So go to the docter! Good luck!

I would get the E M G. It may be something that is trea table. Why live with the stress of possible ALS, when it may be something else.

I would get the E M G. It may be something that is trea table. Why live with the stress of possible ALS, when it may be something else.

Agreeeeeee and hugssssssssssssssssssss

Mine was moderated as well. Get the E M G, N V C! The te sts are tolerable. Could be something that's fixable!

Go ahead and get the tests done. They may find something that is treatable. Besides even if it ultimately is ALS the sooner the you get on Rilutek and under the care of a good clinic the more beneficial the medication and the care is.

Believe me uncertainty is worse then not knowing. Ignoring the problem does not make it go away. I will pray for you and your wife. We are here for support.

Good luck to you!

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for the advice and encouragement.

Naranja,

I do hope we didn't frighten you. Its just that silver lining we are all looking for. Please keep us informed.

Toto

Thanks for the advice. The EMG and NVC showed minor nerve damage to the peroneal nerve, which could have been caused by a spider bite which preceded the foot drop by a week, or by my wife squatting down while grooming the dog and therefore pinching the nerve. That was the neurologist's final diagnosis.

I remain in awe at the courage of the folks on this forum and those around the world who deal with this disease in such a courageous way. My heart goes out to you.

Wonderful news!

Strongly agree with others posts. If it is ALS, and I hope it's not, getting into a clinic early on where they help you deal with various facets of the disease can Make your wifes life easier and quite possibly longer. I didn't find the EMG etc to be painful, really. Better than going to the dentist for me :)
Good luck and keep asking questions.
Sue

Oops my post crossed the good news one. Great! Yay!

Naranja,

WooHoo, that is great news! Keeping my fingers crossed for you all!

This is my first post. My heart goes out to everyone that has to deal with the effects of this devastating condition.

My wife had foot drop a month ago, and it isn't getting any better. In fact, dorsiflexion is getting more and more difficult. There was no trauma to cause the foot drop, and there are are present no other symptoms, and no pain or loss of sensation. I strongly suspect ALS, yet remain optimistic that there is another cause.

The neurologist wants to do an EMG/NCS series. My wife and I talked about it, and have tentatively decided against the test at present.

What good can the test really do? Not only is the test painful, but if the nerve is normal, there is probably a more sinister cause of the foot drop. We'd both rather not know that. If it is indeed ALS, further symptoms/signs will eventually happen. We'll deal with it then.

Does anyone else share this rationale?

I waited six months before seeing a neuro I didn't want to know either .
The EMG is mildly uncomfortable .Your wifes symptoms might be treatable.
My symptoms were obvious to me
If it is ALS and l pray it isn't she will be referred to the ALS clinic close to you .
To be honest the ALS clinics really is to benefit them as we become their lab rats.
However if it is ALS you need to be prepared for so many changes in her life .And they come in handy at the beginning for that.
The social worker is very informative and pt and ot will help her with certain exercise and helpful techniques
She made be eligible for disability insurance .medicare ,equipment that can take forever. You may want to get, changes in your home and that takes time
ignorance may be bliss.Unfortunately it isn't with ALS
.Maybe you should reconsider. As scary as it may be

Good Luck
Pat

wonderful news .I wrote you it went to moderator .I could have saved all the eye blinking to type lol

Happy for you both .Nasty spiders
Pat

EMG reennervation is definitive. And you can all kinds of drugs to mitigate the pain of the test..just check with the neuro. All mine cared about is that I wasn't driving home.

That is outstanding news and shows why it is important to have the te sts done as soon as possible!

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back