PALS
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Oshawa
Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to drop by and say Hello to everyone. My Mother of 65 was diagnossed with Bulbar ALS last April 2005. Unfortunately she lost her fight this past March just shy of her 66th birthday. I just wanted to reach out to those of you with ALS and the friends and family there of and say to you that you are all "HERO"S" in my book ! All the posts of support, the participation in events, the designing of personal web sites around ALS to educate support and fundraise >>>> Like I said HERO's

Heres a little poem I found fitting to those of you that are Mothers.. I read it at my Mothers Funeral. To me it defined what it meant as a Mother and in the end that was what my Mom was proudest to be...Ohh and of course a Grand Mom

Why are you crying, a young boy asked his Mom?

"Because I'm a woman," she told him.

"I don't understand," he said.

His Mom just hugged him and said,
"And you never will, but that's O.K.".......

Later the little boy asked his father,
"Why does Mom seem to cry for no reason?".
"All women cry for no reason," was all his Dad could say......

The little boy grew up and became a man,
still wondering why women cry.

Finally he put in a call to God and when God got back to him, he asked "God, why do women cry so easily?"

GOD answered......

"When I made woman,
I decided she had to be special.
I made her shoulders
strong enough to carry
the weight of the world, yet,
made her arms gentle enough to give comfort...

I gave her the inner strength
to endure childbirth
and the rejection
that many times will come
even from her own children.

I gave her a hardness
that allows her
to keep going and take care
of her family and friends,
even when everyone else gives up, through sickness and fatigue without
complaining....

I gave her the sensitivity to love her children under any and all
circumstances. Even when her child has hurt her badly....

She has the very special power to make a child's boo-boo feel better and
to quell a teenager's anxieties and fears....

I gave her strength to care for her husband, despite faults
and I fashioned her from his rib to protect his heart....

I gave her wisdom to know that a good husband never hurts his wife, but
sometimes tests her strengths and her resolve to stand beside him
unfalteringly....

For all of this hard work,
I also gave her a tear to shed.
It is hers to use
whenever needed and !
it is her only weakness....
When you see her cry,
tell her how much you love her, and all she does for everyone, and even though
she may still cry, you will have made her heart feel good.

She is special!
Please send this to women you know, and those with mothers,
sisters, and special women in their lives.

But, also send this to men so they will understand about what a
wonderful thing a woman is.
Each day is a mountain that must be climbed; with courage each step
gets easier.

Love your Mother Always

and keep her Smiling

Rob,

I just read your post and poem and balled my eyes out. What a great poem. I am sorry for your loss.

I have just been diagnosed with MND. I am sure I have bulbar onset as well as your mother did. I am shocked that she went so quickly. How long did she have her symnptoms before her diagnosis if you don't mind me inquiring? It really scared me to think I may only have a year.

Take care. Jingles

Rob,

The poem was beautiful. I also cried when I read it. I have cried everyday for eight months. That is when my husband was diagnosed. Your mom was very lucky to have a son who loved her so. I am so sorry you lost your mom, my heart goes out to you. It is very kind of you to reach out to all of us and call us heroes.

Sandy.

voice hoarsness

Is voice hoarsness a part of ALS symptom, like if you have laryngitis. Anyone happened to experience this. I don't have any choking or swallowing problems.

Terri

My husband has hoarseness in his voice and a weak cough. He has had it for over six months. I asked the doctor about this and he said we just need watch this. He never really said much. Some days his voice is better than others and he does not have a swallowing problem either. The doctor said it is possible that it is just the dryness that is causing this but for now we are not sure.

Sandy.

Rob

Rob:

Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful poem with us. It made me cry, but it was very nice. Gee, I have never thought of myself as a hero, but I sure wish I could get some superhero powers to help me deal with all of this. :-D Thanks again.

Jingles, stay strong and positive and remember what Al said. Everyone progresses differently and some plateau.

Barb

Rob a couple of things made me cry today. First your poem. Second on my baby (32) girls birthday she told us she is expexting a baby around Christmas. We have a granddaughter 1 year old in the Phillipines so this will be one we get to see everyday as we live with my daughter and her husband. GRAMPAL is going to be a GRAMPA again. If I didn't have this crappy disease I'd be happy as a pig in -hit. I.m still deleriously happy but just not sure how much time I'll have with the new baby. As most of you know I'm not too much of a negative guy but I am a realist. S-hit happens to good people when they least expect it but I'm going to be here for the birth and hopefully see the little person(I think it's a boy) go off to school even if I'm vented and chairbound. So folks don't tell anybody for at least 2 weeks. Tara doesn't check the forum too often so I shouldn't get in trouble. Thanks for letting me tell my secret. You know us guys ,we can't keep a secret.

Wonderful news

Congrats Al. What a wonderful secret to have. I am envious of anyone who is lucky enough to be close to their granchildren. Our little guy just turned 5 on April 21 st. They just moved to Montreal from California and we are on the west coast so don't get to see much of him.

We were planning a road trip across Canada to see them this August but may have to go sooner since I got the news. Lots to look forward ahead for you.

Regards Jingles

Our first grandaughter was born last April in the Philippines and they came home in August for 7 weeks. We see her at least 2 times a week courtesy of yahoo messenger or SKYPE web cam. Not great but better than nothing. They were planning on coming home for Aug. but maybe later in the year will be better now. They both don't like the cold weather so we'll have to see. Actually if I never saw another snowflake it woudn't bother me. I like warmth. With the ALS I notice I chill easier.Guess with the muscle wasting the nerves are closer to the surface. Hence feeling cold and picking up anything hot is no treat either. Well think I've put in my 25 cents worth so I'll go to bed. Night All.

Congratulations Al

Hey Al:

Congratulations on your very exciting news! I hope your daughter is feeling well, and I promise, I won't tell anyone. ha ha.

Barb :):-D :) :) :-D :) :-D :) :-D

Hi Al,
Congratulations! We are expecting a new grandbaby this month. Our only daughter(33) is expecting her first baby, so it is quite exciting. We have grandchildren that are in their teens, so a new baby around will sure be nice.
Things like this keep us going. Friends and family make it so much easier to stay positive and strong.

Hi Rob,
I liked your poem, thanks.

Hugs and prayers, Leah

I'm happy for you Grandpa Al! Have you already bought him/her a firetruck?

Al,
It will be so nice to have a grandchild around that you get to see daily. Little kids really do brighten up a dark situation. Many congrats to you and wish your daughter all the best. Hopefully she doesn't get the morning sickness, swollen ankles, cravings for pickles at midnight and some of the other beautiful things that come along with pregnancy! haha
Dana

Her best friends right now are crackers and ginger ale. She has the sickies big time. It too will pass I'm sure.

Congrats Al, i can certainly relate to the sickies,, crackers were my best friend too. I pray all goes well for everyone. I am cherishing every moment i get with my 8 month old ,, grandbaby girl. Like you ,, i don't know how much time i have left either,, if the doctor is right ,, only 13 months.

Love and Prayers
Marlo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back