Razi

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
CA
Hello everyone,
I am 37 years' old. Five months ago, I started having some paresthesia on my left side (tingling, numbness and burning sensation in left side of my face and arm with some weakness). I ran couple of tests (blood work, CT scan,...) but all normal. Doctors said it might be stress or side effect of Covid vaccine I had at this time. The paresthesia decreased since that time. So I thought it was just stress/anxiety related symptom.

Two-three weeks ago, my both hands fingers started triggering/ jerking mostly during night and I woke up with hands and wrist pain. Called Doctor, he said: since all your recent blood work and ct scan are normal, Paresthesia might be stress related and finger triggering might be due to over usage of your hands (Indeed I work mostly with computer and I was snow shoveling a lot this winter + home renvovation). After seeing to Doctor, I started having muscle twitching/ jerking all over my body at rest and before falling asleep which make my sleeping very difficult and my nights very short. Twitching would happens continuously until luckily I fall asleep and starts again when I wake during night (I am light sleeper).

Not sure if I should call my Family Doctor and request a MRI and EMG. Any one has experienced symptoms like that please? any thoughts? should I worry?
Your help and guidance are much appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there-

We ask that people read this link first: Read Before Posting It covers a variety of symptoms that bring people to this forum. As you will read, sensory issues do point away from ALS.

I think you need to listen to your doctors with regards to what may be causing your symptoms, and keep working with them if things change or are affecting your daily function. While it must be disconcerting, you do not report any loss of function, so you should be reassured about ALS.

Take care

It will do no harm to check back in with the doc. With both hands involved, you could have a rheumatological disease of some kind though as the doc says, a repetitive motion injury is more likely and would show on EMG. Or this could be more of a sleep/stress cascade.

I doubt you need both an MRI and EMG at this stage, but talk to your doc about what blood work might be helpful, and other next steps. Developing better strategies for ensuring you get enough high-quality sleep can only help as well (pillow, mattress, temperature, humidity, noise, stress, all that good stuff).

Best,
Laurie

Thanks alot for your guidance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back