Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
IL
City
Chicago
Hey everyone, I'm going to try to keep this a brief as possible. I've had mostly left sided problems in my arm and leg for about four months now. Excessive muscle strains and sprain, difficulty/discomfort in walking for long distances, which I guess would be considered "perceived" weakness. Most recently, my hand has started "locking up" after use. For example, holding my phone my fingers will get "stuck" in the straightened position and I'll have to put a lot of effort into getting them to close. I know presentation can vary from person to person, so I appreciate any insight I could get here.

I did see a neuro, she did an EMG on my right side (not my left where the problems are), it came back clean, and she basically was like "We're not sure what's wrong with you, come back if you need to."

Now I know in the sticky it said not all affected muscle groups need be tested for positivity, but on the opposite side of the body? Is that still "acceptable?" I'm just trying to weigh out if I should seek a second EMG/opinion or just kind of carry on with life the best I can and push the ALS concern out of my mind.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read and respond to this, I really appreciate your time! Thank you!

What did the neuro find when they examined you? While changes are often seen in muscles nowhere near symptomatic areas I might have a concern if the affected area wasn’t looked at if you had clinical weakness and or upper motor neuron signs. If you did not I am not convinced you needed the emg at all

She did a full physical exam and said it was "largely unremarkable", but did the EMG to rule out large fiber neuropathy and MND; which she cleared me of both.

Also, this may be very ignorant of me but what are Upper Motor and Lower Motor signs? I don't have much idea of the differentiation and most of what I've read is very confusing.

I'm trying very hard to just "move on" but I'm a little hesitant to do so right yet.

Thank you for the quick reply, Nikki. I sincerely appreciate your time.

Weakness is the big lower motor sign. Though of course there are many other causes of weakness without any motor. neuron issue. Ditto atrophy

upper motor neuron signs include spasticity , sustained clonus, hyperactive reflexes in affected limbs and other abnormal reflexes like babinski and Hoffman’s

our muscles are controlled by upper motor neurons in the brain and lower motor neurons which are almost all in the spinal cord except for a few in the brainstem that control some bulbar functions. ALS is a disease that affects both

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back