Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
Hi all

Would appreciate any opinions here.

I'm a 26/F, no familial history of ALS.

Last June, I noticed my toes twitching inwards on their own, and this triggered some anxiety. I spoke to my Dr, and they said they didn't know the cause, but if I was otherwise okay, they were sure it was fine. In December, I started to get twitches in my legs, both in the calf and above the knee. These weren't constant, but happened every 10 mins or so. Yet again, went to see my GP and she was very flippant about my fears, and said if it was ALS then there's nothing I can do, but she sees no need at that point for additional testing.
In May this year, I started getting some twitching in my upper arms, and also some slight pain, as if they were tired all the time. I've been referred to an orthopedic consultant, but there's a 9 month waiting list. Had my reflexes and strength tested at the time and Dr wasn't worried.
I've now started getting some twitches in my temple area, and I just don't know what to do anymore.

I've had the occasional Charley horse, maybe 5 in the past year, but I'm just really worried this is all connected, and whilst I know people say twitches usually come after failure, I'm just wondering if anyone thinks I should push to have an EMG etc, or if it sounds at all worrying, or if there's anything I should check out to put this to bed? I'm obviously very anxious, but I'm anxious because of the symptoms, not getting symptoms because I'm anxious, if that makes sense.

Thank you for any help.

What can you no longer do that you could before? Twitches mean nothing, and seeing as 70% of people have random twitches and Charles horses, we would not correlate that with ALS.

Thank you for clarifying. I guess I'm just concerned about what I see as progression, apologies for wasting your time, and thank you for the response.

Progression with ALS is consistent loss of function. For example, one can no longer go back on their heels, up on their toes, button their shirt or do up a Zzipper. Twitches that come and go and move around with no loss of function is not progression.

I would say you should never push for tests. What makes you think you are more medically knowledgeable than doctors who studied for years, then worked in real medical situations for years?
Having said that, if you feel your GP is flippant with you I would suggest two possible things.
1. Go back and report your symptoms including your anxiety, but this time do NOT ask if you have ALS, but ask what your GP thinks is going on and what do they feel is the best next step. Then follow their advice completely.

If you are not happy with your GP

2. Go to another GP, but absolutely do not mention ALS, even remotely, simply present your symptoms, have a clinical exam and accept what testing directions this GP thinks is appropriate.

I truly wish you the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back