ptich

Distinguished member
Country
US
State
California
City
Mountain View
I have a few questions about disability.

1. Is disability for persons with ALS handled the same way as with any other disease: fisrt 1.5 years of Short Term, then Long Term ?

2. When moving to Long Term disability, is Cobra the only option ?

3. Do they extend Cobra to 3 years (instead of usual 18 months) in case of Long Term Disability ?

I have a 2yr short term disability policy, then I have Social Security disability and I have long term with the Post Office. I had a 5 month waiting period for SSD. Have you applied for SSD or disability from your job? Rhonda

Are you in the US? In regards to Social Security, ALS is one of the few diseases in which you are immediately eligible for disability without a wait. This was made law about 5 or so years ago and is a big help.
Beth

Yes, I am in the US. I have not been finally diagnosed yet, so I cannot apply for SSD, I guess. But, because I have completely torn rotator cuff tendon in my right shoulder, I think I can apply for Short Term Disability anyway.

What is the relationship between SSD and Long Term Disability ? Does SSD provides a medical insurance (like Medicare) ?

short term long term

Hi,

I never went on short term disablity but was paid for 90 days trough sick time and union benefits. Then I could go on LTD. I am Ok for long term for the next three years and probably until the age of 65 (They want to recheck status after 3 years). Please call your union or workers rep and ask them. I know my union people really helped and directed me well. The law for ALS and SS is referred to as the TERI law. Look it up on the internet. I learned about it at this forum and it was good to have the information to ask about at the SS office. I applied yesterday for SS disability insurance which you have to do in the US if you go on LTD. I also officially retired last month. I am in the US and have not been totally DX. I am still on IVIG, and the ALS clinic and I are hopping for MMN. Also please note LTD is an insurance program you and your employee pay into as a benefit for you. Best Wishes, Peg

could you tell me about the ivig my md wants me to have it but scared me about side effects pat

Thanks Peg. If you haven't had your final DX, what was the basis for applying for SSD ?

Pitch,
Yes, Social Security disability will give you Medicare.
Beth

short term long term

Hi Pitch,

I am disabled by MMN. I am unable to write, i.e. writing a check is difficult in holding the pen and pushing down hard enough to form the letters. It is a cognitive task. I also have difficulty with walking and tire easily. My hand remains very weak and my baby finger is atrophied. I cannot move it. I was DX with ALS Oct 31, 2006, but the ALS clinic says I have an MND that might be MMN. I know the internet info calls MMN both an autoimmune and sometimes MND. I fit some of both criteria. I also have abnormal EMG in 3 limbs. Right now I just show lower motor neuron issues. It is said I have MMN or "atypical ALS." As far as SSD I won't know if I qualify under them for several months. She said that if ALS is the diagnosis then I can get medicare right away. But I do not need ALS DX to qualify for SSD. I have 36 + years in and cannot work so I got LTD and then retired. I am starting my second 4 months on IVIG as I have shown some improvement. I am very grateful for this good fortune. Best Wishes, Peg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back