Status
Not open for further replies.
Chad sorry, However remember doctors practice, forecast is really yours. Good luck Jim

Chad- I cried when I read your post. If there is any wiggle-room for a better prognosis let's find it! Hugs, Cindy.

Don't believe them

Chad,

This guy cannot predict the future. We all know with the people we talk to, many of them have fooled the doctor, and i will be talking to higher powers for you!

Call me when you get a chance, my cell is working..

Keep the faith and take care.....

Jamie

Mayo Update

Thank you everyone for the kind words, I really appreciate it. It has been a rough couple of days.

I found out today that my breathing is between 78% and 88% (normal breathing is between 90% and 100%). I am going to sleep in the hospital tomorrow so they can monitor me to see if I qualify for a bipap.

I saw a nurse today and a social worker to go over living wills, disability, als association, and MDA association, etc.

I saw another doctor who wrote scibes or tickets for a hospital bed, wheelchair comode/shower chair, and pressure stockings.

You are right, I need to prove them wrong and enjoy these next 6 months. The breathing thing is especially bad when I exert myself to much. I need to manage my life make it as comfortable as possible.

My fiance and I set a date to get married for next Saturday (yes the day before Easter). Her freinds are setting everything up. She is taking time off work to be with me and with a 6 month diagnosis, hospice can be called in to help. I am trying to live my life the best I can. We are making modifications to the bathroom.

Thanks everyone for the kind words of encouragement, I would like to invite everyone to the wedding. You are all very special caring people.

Thanks again
Chad

time left

Chad, Make the best of the time you have left and it sounds like that's what you intend to do getting married and all. And I hope your wedding goes smoothly for you and the bride. Barry

Congratulations on your marriage this coming Saturday! I hope it is one of the best days of you and your soon to be wife's life. Best wishes, Leslie

Hi Chad

Hi Chad, Just want to tell you my son-in-law Jack had the same diagnosed. DR. didn't even wait for us to get there, told Jack you have ALS and have 3-6months to live. Go home and save your strengh for what you like to do and get your life in order. That was a year ago. One day at a time no one can predict how long . Congratulations on your upcoming Wedding. May you have a Long and Happy Marriage. My best to you, Beebe

Hi Chad - always wanted to ask you if you'd set a date and now here it is upon us! Congratulations to you both! You're a great couple and deserve a wonderful wedding and and long and happy life together. All my best, Cindy

Chad,
Congratulations and best wishes for your wedding and new marriage. As far as what that doc told you - like so many others have said - disregard that and make every day count! Only God knows the number of our days and so far, I don't think He's delegated that knowledge to any doctors!
Stay strong and faithful. Dwell on all the great things in your life and in the world - like your upcoming nuptials!
God Bless!
Nicki

Dear Chad good luck on your wedding and dont believe that rediculous diagnosed noone knows the future and by your symptoms I dont know why he said such a thing I was told 2 years ago I would be in a wheel chair and I am still walking Believe me that dont know. They go by a medical book and generize. We are people not books , Live your life youll be here next year to tell that jerk he was wrong,God Bless Pat

Hi Chad

Hi Chad:

I agree with everyone here, doctor's are not God, how did that doctor dare tell you that you have six month's to live, like someone said if they cannot Dx this awful sickness how can they tell you when you're going to die.

Hold on, enjoy your marriage, your wife and LIFE.

Sincerely,

Paty
Husband's caregiver DX 10.17.05
Baja California, Mexico

Hey Chad,

Hope you have a great wedding.

I got married after my diagnosed as well - but I was not faced with your brutal timeline.

Sounds like you are approaching all of this in the right frame of mind.

As you already know - it is best just to take one day at a time with this disease.

The long term does not look too rosey for any of us - I try and not look more than a few days or weeks into the future at any time.

Who knows where any of us will be in a year's time - but you have a lot to look forward to as your wedding approaches.

As a PALS - every second is valuable to us and makes us appreciate every moment. Since my diagnosed I have experienced more love, laughter and passion than I did in my entire life up to that point. I'm sure in whatever time you have left you will experience more of life and love than most people do in a lifetime.

Plus - I always tell myself - you never know how you are going to die. Whenever I stress about my fate - I think to myself "What if after moping about ALS all the time I ended up getting hit by a bus? I would feel pretty stupid wasting all that time getting depressed about dying from ALS only to actually die from something else".

I friend of mine had it all - beautiful wife and kids - successful career - then BAM - dead at 42 in a snowmobile accident - All our lives our precarious - at any moment any one of us could drop dead from some accidental cause - is there any point worrying about that? No.

The hospitals are full of people who have been given hours to live and there are people all over the world being subject to unimaginable horrors all of whom would trade places with any of us in a heartbeat.

Please don’t think I’m trying to minimize your situation – most people – myself included – would have just crawled into a foetal position and resigned themselves to dying.

You are doing amazingly well.

Congratulations and have a great wedding.

Richard

BTW -- When I got married last August - I told the minister to take out the part of the vows dealing with "for better or worse, through sickness and health" but was pressured to put them back in - I told them it was not going to be pretty. When we got to that part in the ceremony - I was sobbing like a baby - and I just could not get those vows out of my mouth - finally after what seemed like hours I squeaked them out - it was torture and there was not a dry eye in the house. I was able to joke about it afterwards.

On a lighter note – I bought suits for myself and the grooms men from at an amazing sale – only problem – they only had 44 inch waists for the pants – some of my friends have 34 inch waist and tailors refused to alter them – it was pretty comical

sounds weird to me...

Hi Chad,

First of al CONGRATULATIONS on the wedding! That's awesome! I am so happy for you. Second of all, I wanted to tell you that my husband's breathing capacity has been at below 50% for the past year or so, jumping between 33% and 48% some days, and they are call his a slow progression! Usually they base things on the diaphragm strength too, but your breathing capacity sounds outstanding to me.

Also, consider a vent. That can extend you life by years. This disease is a strange one, going from rapid to slow progression overnight. Did they give you Rilutek? That slows the progression for some people. Hang in there and GOD BLESS! Teej

Just is all just too sad.
No one deserves this.

I just wish peace for everyone who knew the guy.

He only had symptoms since 9/06. I just can't believe what happened to him and how hard it was for him to get help. This is so wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back