sdsyd

Distinguished member
Country
US
State
sd
City
piedmont
Didnt know where this fit in the forum? Probably doesn't.

70 mph winds and 16" of snow. No school tomorrow either, I-90 closed throughout most of the State. I understand there are still some trapped motorists.

Dan tried getting our Suburban out for almost an hour ( we live in the foothills and our driveway is a long gravel road) He wasn't really going anywhere- just gonna plow out the driveway. He did get it lined up so it is facing forward for when we have some melt.
No way are we leaving tomorrow either. ZOIKS! Neighbors (younger) called and said they were headed to town ( about 20 miles) and were certain their Ford was more capable of navagating our driveway since it has higher clearance that our " Burb" LOLOL. They made it about 10 feet!

Kids have been alternating between having a blast and being beyond annoying to one another. wish you guys could see how big the drifts are.

Love,
CIndy
(SD-syd aka SOUTH DAKOTA Syd :O)

Cindy, you've just made Jersey a much warmer cozier place to appreciate living.

Is this much snow normal for so early in the season? (brrrr, wrapping robe around me closer at the very thought).

Being a transplant from Florida (I know, its backwards, heard it before LOL) One big thing I notice about snow fall is it is sneaky. My first few winters up here I'd wake up and wonder why everything seemed so quiet, then one look out the window and I'd have my answer! SNOW ...but it apparently is good for sound insulation.

I hope you guys find a way to enjoy it, and the kids don't drive you crazy. I hope you're snuggling in front of a roaring fire. :smile:

Can't help it Cindy, got to share:

70 degrees in Buffalo, blue sky, sunny, glorious colors....that's right, Buffalo!:grin:

Lydia (been to the Black Hills before, really beautiful. Different looking)

... wait a minute. I just remembered why I moved to Southern California! Thanks for the reminder. :)

BUFFALO !?!

One of my favorite memories was waking and seeing the first snowfall and how pristine it was.. No car marks or foot prints, no dirt snow or yellow snow! I hope you all fare well during this storm, Sam

Hi ... waking up to the first snowfall of the year in Ohio is one of my favorite childhood memories, too. Loved ice skating on the little lake nearby, and sledding, I even loved the slush in March, because it smelled like spring. And I come from an era in which females only wore skirts, so that winter wind was pretty tough on bare legs, walking home two miles from school ... (opps, I just slipped into my grandchild lecture. Sorry)

Alas, now I have become a weather wimp. I have no strength of character at all. And I have no intention of developing any. :)

Take care of yourselves, Cindy. Sounds like it is going to be a long winter! (The other) Cindy

Revelations that come to those that did not experience true winter or any snow in childhood:

#1 The reason for all of the fuss over "seeing a robin" for the first time in late winter/early spring, has nothing to do with the bird's qualities, but rather that it is a harbinger of warmer weather, the promise of actual leaves on trees, flowers and green grass again.

#2 The seasons are not divided equally. (like south Florida kids are lead to believe from their textbooks) There are not four separate and easily distinguishable types of weather. It gets warm after you think its cold for good, and gets cold when you're certain its warm for good.

#3 If you've not lived somewhere with seasonal changes, you will never know what you're missing. :smile:

Rose, Southern California has four seasons, too. Brown, green, on fire, and underwater.

Cindy,

I'll bet you don't see many go-carts on the road this time of year.:smile:

Zaphoon

As Rose said, once you've lived with seasonal changes, you're hooked. Until we moved to northern CA 10 years ago, we used to live in so CA, 1/2 mile from the beach near Redondo Beach. It was always the same, either sunny or foggy and ALWAYS windy. So windy in fact it would blow the magnets off the 'fridge and the fire out of the stove and I hated it.

We moved to northern CA where trees change color, leaves crunch under foot, and each season is clearly defined. Feeling a part of the orbit and tilt of our massive planet earth is somehow very comforting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back