Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Titusville
If you have ALS, so does your family. That is to say, ALS is a devastating disease which affects everyone involved. While living with ALS is difficult, living with ALS without the support of family and friends would be even more challenging.

When my late husband Kevin started needing more assistance, my sister-in-law Keiren stepped in to help us with an amazing book she found called, Share the Care (How to Organize a Group to Care for Someone who is Seriously Ill ) by Cappy Capossela and Sheila Warnock Share The Care - How to Organize A Group to Care for Someone Who Is Seriously Ill - Homepage [/I][/B]

Keiren read the book and then invited interested family and friends to attend a Share the Care meeting in our home.

The book has everything caregivers need. It includes the steps involved in setting up a meeting, ways to get and stay organized, suggestions for jobs and all the forms that will be needed to run a Share the Care group.

The following HOW TO is from the Share the Care website:
Share The Care™ is a detailed step-by-step model that shows you HOW TO:

• Create a unique caregiver "family" from friends, relatives, neighbors, co-workers and acquaintances.

• Answer the question all your concerned neighbors and friends have asked. "How can I help?"

• Hold a meeting that will turn a group of ordinary people into a powerful caregiver team.

• Organize the team using a simple, easy-to-follow system and a workbook guide that guarantees every job will get done and no one person will have too much to do.

• Discover the hidden talents within the group, make the most of their resources, cope with group issues and stay together in the face of adversity.

• Navigate through the medical maze of doctors, hospitals, treatments, medications and much, much more.

• Deal with your own emotional issues and fears while helping someone who is facing their own mortality.

• Make caregiving a meaningful, loving experience and replace stress, fear and loneliness with teamwork, courage and friendship.

Whether you're a burned out caregiver or a first time caregiver, you can benefit from a system that lets you share responsibilities, have a support network among the caregivers and make a real difference in someone's life.

Establishing the Share the Care program in my home was such a blessing. Our group consisted of more than 30 volunteers and they did everything from building ramps to picking up prescriptions. One of the best parts about the program is that there is a questionnaire for volunteers. The questionnaire helps to find the right job for each volunteer by assigning a job which is comfortable and convenient to him or her.

Some volunteers like to provide hands-on care while others rather make phone calls or run errands. This system allows volunteers to be committed for longer periods of time because their roles are created based on their interests and needs.

Kevin was much taller and bigger than I am so there was a need for physical help. We had volunteers on a daily basis that specifically helped with transferring Kevin from his wheelchair to his hospital bed. We had a nurse help with physical therapy once our insurance covered program ran out. These tasks were an enormous help to both Kevin and me.

Some of the volunteers were family members. Some were friends and others were friends of friends! We also had volunteers who worked from the peripheral and helped with errands. Members did yard work, provided meals and even helped with paper work!
But the best gift Share the Care gave to me personally was the gift of time.

The program allowed me to spend more quality time with Kevin. I knew my time with him was limited and I didn’t want to waste it going grocery shopping or running to the cleaners. I wanted to be with him as much as possible.

While a caregiver to Kevin, I was also the mother of a young child. I often felt torn between caring for Kevin and our daughter Alina. I made the decision to ask our Share the Care group to help with Alina’s extracurricular activities. Volunteers came through and their help brought me great joy. As Kevin’s disease progressed and he needed a feeding tube and ventilator, his social life diminished. He was less interested in leaving the comforts of our home to tackle the poorly handicapped-accessible world. But Alina did not miss a trip to Great Adventure because her cousins invited her. Alina did not miss her school play because her grandmother took her. While it was difficult for me to miss some of Alina’s events, Kevin’s illness was my priority at the time and she had so muh fun with her family and friends that she rarely missed us.

If you or your family has not yet implemented the Share the Care program into your journey with ALS, please consider doing so. If you do not have a large group of family or friends, reach out further to those in your community who can help. Know that you will not only be receiving care, you will be changing lives! People who enter your home to help will leave feeling inspired.

“It is one of the most beautiful compensations of this life that you cannot sincerely try to help another without helping yourself.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hello! Great information for PALS and CALS. I read parts of one of the books upon recommendation from the ALS Society here in Edmonton. I provided a list of friends to one member of our large group of friends (she is the greatest organizer) and let her know the types of things we needed to have done in and around the house, including the picking up and dropping off of medical supplies and equipment, yard work, house cleaning, repairs, etc. And yes, the purpose was so that I could spend more quality time with Bob. I left his side 3 times during his illness, to get my hair cut. Our daughters helped so much too with everything really, including helping Bob with so many tasks. My youngest daughter (now 19) took it upon herself to help Bob in to bed every night. We had ceiling tracks, a stair glide, porch lift, wheel chairs, etc. that helped with the heavy work and then home care for several months to help with getting Bob out of bed and dressed in the mornings. Great help! I think the information you've provided will be so useful to so many people on this forum that are so overwhelmed living with ALS - day and night. It's such an awful disease for everybody involved. Thanks for posting!

Thank you so much! I am in the slow early stages of ALS but my husband is my only family (no sibs, both parents gone, no kids). Just bought this book and will give it to him at the right time.

and thanks for letting me know it was helpful. Please feel free to ask questions at any time! I'm a pro at ALS!

Thanks for the post and for sharing your success with sharing the care. You are so lucky to have such a loving a supportive family. I was too. We have to find the blessings where we can in ALS!

That sounds like a wonderful plan but....What about the people who do not know their neighbors and have no family near by? Our situation fits that. We moved into this neighborhood a year ago and although I have met a couple of our neighbors, I can't say that I've become friends. For the past 6 years, our group of friends have been full time RV'ers who are spread out all over the country, seeing the USA like we were. Our nearest child lives 3 hours away.

I cannot bring myself to ask or impose on people that I don't really know that have busy lives though one of our neighbors has said that when my husband falls, she would be happy to come help me get him up. Does she really mean at 3:30 am when he falls going to the bathroom I should call her? I think not. I'm talking neighbors that are in their 70's and 80's.

I may order the book and read for myself to see if there are any "alternatives". Maybe our pastor could help although our church is a small one. Three men from the church installed a ramp this past weekend. So, maybe some will do more.

At 4 am in the morning, it sure feels like I'm in this alone. I worry about Dean, I worry about me (I'm not in the best of health myself and can see where it's already taking a toll on me). Everyone says "take care of yourself" but how can you when you only get 4 - 6 hours sleep at night and no rest during the day?

I'm happy for those who do have such a strong support system and feel for those of us who don't.

Yes, I did mention to reach out to your community and a pastor is a great person to confide in.... the best part is that if this program is led by an organized person, you will not know all the people who are helping- they may be friends of church members- and so, there is less guilt.

It's such a difficult task to ask for help. I never wanted to and because of my sister in law's help and this book- I wasn't directly asking people to lend a hand. Does that make sense?

Remember too that for the most part, people want to help and you are granting them the chance to do something for another. Also, most highschools require community work for graduation and churches do the same.
Bless you both,
Jodi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back