CALS
Country
Mexico
State
Morelos
City
Tepoztlan
Hi,

Andres had an idea, he wants to know if people can share what books and authors (spiritual, motivational or otherwise) have helped you during your process with ALS so we can share the wisdom we each find...

The single book that has helped us the most is The Power of Now, by Eckhart Tolle. To help find joy in whatever situation and stay in the present moment.

Also "Who dies? an investigation on conscious living and conscious dying " by Stephen Levine has been incredibly helpful for us in facing fears about death and grief. Personally it gave me great relief. Everyone should read this book since each and every one of us is going to die sooner or later.

Maybe you know but there is a great site called audible.com that sells audiobooks, magazines , radio shows etc and you can download them instantly to your computer.

What has helped you? please share!

When I read "Tuesdays with Morrie" I had now idea that Morrie Schwartz was an ALS victim. I read the "Tuesday" book because it was a best seller. When my docotrs started talking about ALS I went to the library and found Morrie wrote a book about living with ALS. It's very good. I'd recommend it. Cindy

Good topic!
Here's my list;
  • Spontaneous Healing by Dr Andrew Weil;
  • Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis;
  • Spiritual Solution to Every Problem by Wayne Dyer;
  • No Death, No Fear/ Miracle of Mindfulness/ Living Buddha Living Christ/ Anger, Cooling the Flames, all by Thich Nhat Hahn and
  • as much Calvin and Hobbes as I can get my hands on! (Never lose the laughter)

I was helped by "Dying Well" by Ira Byock. Also "The Art of Happiness" by the Dalai Lama.
Looking forward to checking out some of these titles shared above--Thanks! Beth

Hi

I have read and reread "Holding on to Hope" by Nancy Guthrie.....I think it is a great book.

Hi Cindy,
I, too read 'Tuesdays with Morrie' - what a great attitude he had! The book was so wonderful. My daughter and I each read it when my husband was diagnosed, and it really helped us. I wasn't aware he had written a book re: coping with ALS - can you please tell me the name of the book so that I may try and find it?
Thanks!
Beaner

Hi Beaner. The book is one of several he wrote. I read Letting Go
by Morrie Schwartz (Author). He subtitled it, "Reflections on Living While Dying." I've read it a few times. Good stuff. regards, Cindy

Just A Little of My Inspiration

I Love Motivational Poetry, Quotes, Books! I also like to write Poetry. When I have time. I will write one for Timothy and My favorite on-line friends.

Lorie

May the blessings of love be upon you
May its peace abide with you
May its essence illuminate your heart
Now and forever more . . . .

Understanding Our Deepest Fear.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are
powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous , talented and fabulous ?
Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't
serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people
won't feel small around you. We were born to manifest the glory of God that is within

us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we
unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from
our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

Hi,

Here's a fascinating book: Journey of Souls by Michael Newton, PhD, which presents case studies of life between lives. "This remarkable book uncovers the mystery of life in the spirit world after death on earth. Dr. Michael Newton, a master hypnotherapist, has developed his own hypnosis technique to reach his subjects' hidden memories of the hereafter. The resulting narrative acts as a progressive "travel long" of the accounts of 29 people who were placed in a state of superconsciousness...."

My 84-year old mother, a devout Catholic, gave me the book.

Best wishes,
Sharon

I loved the movie "Big Fish" directed by Tim Burton and starring Anthony Quinn. Nothing to do with ALS but a sweet story of one man's death and how the process effected close family members.

Books and CDs

I like this idea!
As well, I love E. Tolle and the "Power of Now". I also really like his CDs, "Even the Sun will Die" it is a wonderful spiritual interview with Tolle where he speaks about consciousness and being free from form.
I also study with a group "A course in Miracles" which is an incredible spiritual text. You can find this text on the internet:
http://www.unitedbeings.com/acim/index.html
I recommend too "we don't die" which explains that the body will stop living but the spirit is eternal, and how the opposite of death is not life, it is birth because life does not end with death.
Sunny

Hi Citlalli and Andres,

I have not posted to this thread until now because I did not think I had anything to add. I too have been changed by the Buddhist teachings of Eckhart Tolle, Thich Nhat Hanh and the Dalai Lama. Buddhist philosophy and meditation is certainly responsible for the nearly constant inner peace I experience. :)

I just finished a book called Insight Meditation, The Practice of Freedom by Joseph Goldstein, which I believe will be helpful to many in this forum. It is basically an overview of Buddhism, explained from a Western perspective. It is a relatively short book (129 pages), focuses on meditation, and even discusses dealing with physical pain.

The author acknowledges that one need not be a Buddhist, or believe in all Buddhist cosmology to achieve inner peace, and enlightenment. This is a point that is important for those identified with other religious traditions to understand. Although I have been studying Buddhist philosophy and practicing meditation for a couple years now, I don't consider myself a Buddhist.

Mike

Thank you, Mike. I am going to get that book. Maybe we'll talk later after I've had a chance to read it. Cindy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back