Diagnosis
02/2015
Country
US
State
NH
City
New London
I have spent most of the last week saying goodbye in person and in writing. It is surreal to say goodbye and mean it. When I entered hospice at the end of last year, I knew I had some time left to see friends and share experiences. This time, it's for real. This is not a drill. My close college friends were here all weekend and we spent hours laughing and crying. I'm so grateful to have a chance to see people who have been part of my life. My sisters fly in tomorrow and Tuesday. Tonight I will take my last tube feed. No food or water starting tomorrow -- just morphine in the daytime and dilotid at night (what a blessing that drug is!). I still have some loose ends to tie up this week, including finalizing my celebration of life on July 18th. yes, I'm a control freak.

I can't begin to say how much your friendships and support have meant to me. This forum has helped me through the toughest moments. I will try to check in this week and I've asked my sister to post my obituary when the time comes.

Sending you all my love and a fist bump. Carry that torch.

Jessie, Nikki speaks for me as well. I will never forget you, and will celebrate and tell stories of your strength, humor, beautiful mind, and an inner light that I will remember fondly until my last breath.

In the words of my dear friend Lyn who left us last week, it’s your time to fly the coop and be free.

All my family’s love. Kevin

Likewise, Jessie, you will be missed. I am glad that you were able to reunite with your friends. I trust you and your sister know, from tonight on, there is no longer any need to measure morphine or dilaudid. Peace and fair winds for all of you.

Best,
Laurie

Jessie,

I, too, will miss seeing your knowledgeable and humorous posts. You are a warrior. ❤

Jessie,
You've inspired us with your strength. We'll always think of you with a smile. Wishing you a peaceful journey.

I echo all of the above, Jessie. Peace to you, your family and friends.
❤️💔

Nona, this is the fate that awaits us all. I deeply admire the contributions you have made to this forum. You have enriched the lives of many.

It is with deep regret that I follow your current postings. I so wish that things were different, but acknowledge that this is the path we must all eventually follow.

You probably have no idea how deeply you have impacted my life and the lives of so many others. Know that you have made a significant difference!

Peace be with you. You will be in my prayers.

Steve

Jessie, you have had such an impact on me - your spirit, humor, and sage advice shines through in every one of your posts. You have really helped me to keep a positive outlook. What I've learned about you on these forums is that your time on this earth has not been misspent and you have not had a life unlived.

Wishing you a peaceful journey. I will be thinking of you on July 18…

Jessie,

Thank you for being such a wonderful part of this community of extraordinary people. While we're all glad that you found those things you needed, we're also glad for all those many things you gave back. We will remember you well past the times that we last talk within these forum pages. And your posts will live on as a help to those of come behind you.

Thank you for taking the time to share this ending segment of your journey with us. I can't begin to describe how humbled I feel when amongst such brave and courageous giants as yourself. May your last thought, here, become the beginnings of your first thought in the realm of whatever comes next for you.

My very best...

Jim

Oh Jessie you are a true inspiration, and through your words here your inspiration will live on and help many for as long as ALS continues to take our best. I wish you so much peace. Thank you for all you are.

Dear Jessie,
It has been a pleasure knowing you. You have been my inspiration. I hate knowing you'll be gone but glad you're going on your terms.
Fly free, my friend.
Love, Kim

Peace be with you

Jessie,
I'm a bit stunned. I thought we were just talking hoyers. I'll miss your posts. Safe travels. You're a brave one.

Last edited:
Hard to find words, Jessie, so I will say that I'm fist-bumping you right back. In my relatively short journey, I have been drawn to you. I love your raw sincerity, your courage, your humor, and your willingness to give. Those qualities will endure in those of us who've become your friends. I also love your beautiful poetry, and I think of you whenever someone shows kindness that warms me more than the afghans they made for me. Thank you for going wayyyyy past your bedtime with this disease - we were all beneficiaries of that. Peaceful journey, sister.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back