SGD, Tobi vs. Accent 1400 from PRC..Anyone Using These?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hope4Me

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
11/2014
Country
US
State
AZ
City
Tucson
Hi Al,
Recently I had a presentation at the U of A Speech clinic on the SGD for thr Tobi Dynovox and the Accent 1400. I can still speak but its getting more difficult to do so and to understand me.

I need to make a decision between these two units in the next couple days. I did well with both of them using the eye recognition and each had some benefits over the other - like the Accent is lighter and more compact but the Tobi seemed a little easier navigate.

Does anyone have these units and if so, can you offer your experience and opinions?

I also was told that we may still on be able to get on the internet for 13 mths after receiving the unit. I thought that was being chnaged. I may be gone by then. Email, text, social media and the net are my connection to the outside world. Medicare folks are insane sometimes!

Thanks for any feed back!
Rhonda

When I was "shopping", i picked the Tobii based on the overall computer function.
I was able to access Facebook, email, speech and the web easily. while some of the others i tried (dynavox and something else) were great with the speech, but not as good with the social media.
mind you, that was three years ago.
i have been using my Tobii I-15 about two years with eyegaze and pretty happy with it.
i would have liked to try the surface out as it seems many pals are pretty happy with it, but it wasn't one of my options.
cheers,
Casey

I think the Medicare rules about connection to the internet were rescinded due to public pressure.
You would have to pay for that, Medicare never did.
They did not rescind taking the device away if you go into a hospital, and they are notorious for rejecting eyegaze, making you py for it.
Some states have separate programs paid for by taxes on your phone bill that will pay for the entire device including eyegaze and you would own it instead of renting it for 13 months first.
I had heard Medicare will be sued over the eyegaze issue.
If you can avoid Medicare entirely, do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back