Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been having muscle twitching all over my body. In the last 6 months or so there is not a muscle in my body that has not twitched. I was very concerned initially particularly because my father has ALS. There is no family history but it did make me very anxious which only fueled the twitching. After a while though I got over the anxiety but the twitching hasn't stopped. Now I am feeling twitching that is not just annoying but a little painful at times. Worst of all it happens in the wierdest places like past couple of weeks the muscle just below my ribs have been twitching so violently that it even wakes me up from sleep. ALS is unlikely as I am not showing any real signs of weakness as I am working out and my weight lifting capabilty and running capability has only gone up in last six months. However so has twitching and it won't stop. If one part of my body stops twitching, another one starts. I went to a neuro six months back when it initially started and he said its probably BFS and said I should just relax. Should go and get it checked again ?. Is EMG recommended ? Is there any other options like taking magnessium supplements ? Any advice is appreciated
Thanks
grp

Hi GRP. Welcome to the Forum and let's hope they find out what's going on soon. Someimes not knowing can be almost as bad! You didn't say what area you live in but if you are near a major medical center that might be a good place to start. I take quinine sulfer for fasculations and cramping and it is quite effective but of course you'd want a real doctor to give expert advice. Good luck and keep us posted!

Hi grp. Once a muscle started twitching on me it stayed twitching. I think the doc might be right with the Benign Fasciculation Syndrome. Taking too much magnesium can be as bad as not enough. A good multi vitamin probably wouldn't hurt especially if you don't eat regularly or do the fast food thing. Are you sure you are over the anxiety? If you are not showing any other signs I'd wait a while before spending money on tests. AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back