Diagnosis
09/2005
Country
CA
State
BC
City
Abbotsford
I have recently started using a bipap at night and continue to experience an extremely dry mouth.
I wake up several times each night with my mouth so dry I have trouble opening it and have to get up for a drink of water. The humidifier is set at 4/5 and is working properly, it goes through a lot of water.

Has anyone else experienced this? Can anyone suggest a solution?

Al

Moderator emeritus
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
10/2003
Country
CA
State
On
City
NW of Toronto
Hi joel. I use a lidded hospital type water cup with a straw to poke under the mask and then at least I don't have to get up and take the mask and stuff off. Got the cup at a drug store. I'm assuming the 4/5 is the heater setting on the humidifier? That should be pretty wet. I use mine at 2/3 and get drips in the mask some nights. Your ambient humidity could be lower in your house though.
AL.

joelc

Moderator emeritus
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
09/2005
Country
CA
State
BC
City
Abbotsford
Thanks Al,

The water cup idea sounds like a good idea.

To my knowledge, my wife confirms, I don't snore and I sleep with my mouth closed. If I breathed through my mouth I don't think this problem would happen because of the high humidifier setting.?

My setting are; IPAP=12, EPAP=6, %IPAP=30%, and it is set on SPONTANEOUS.

I started out with a humidifier heater setting of 2, and then 3, and now 4 in hopes of solving this problem. The relative humidity in our house is between 30% & 35%.

Thanks for you feedback.

lunarruna

Distinguished member
Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
xx
City
xxxx
Hi Joel....What kind of Bipap mask do you use? ....maybe that could make a difference. Are you using a full face mask? If you dont sleep with your mouth open you could use nasal pillows or a nose mask and maybe that would help. My husband Shannon loves his nasal pillow mask and wears it 24/7. Every so often ( 1/week) his mouth drops open at night and the alarm goes off on the Bipap..but very minor problem.
Anyway, just a thought to try...

I did a great road trip around Slocan Lake area and soaked in some wonderful wild hot springs back in 1983..lovely country!
Cheers, Beth

joelc

Moderator emeritus
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
09/2005
Country
CA
State
BC
City
Abbotsford
Thank you everyone,
I am not taking any drugs at all, except Ibuprofen, use a full face mask and breathe through my nose, my mouth does not open. At least I don't think so. I am going to try using a nasal mask and see how it works for me. Even though I am getting used to the full face mask I would rather have my mouth free - I can't tell my wife how much I love her this way!

nspoc

Distinguished member
Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
Illinois
City
Olympia Fields
Hi Joel My friend with ALS also gets very dry mouth. Her preferred remedy is the closed cup with a straw - but she does sip this frequently at night.

Another good thing to try is OASYS - an artificial saliva product. It lubricates the mouth and lasts for a number of hours. Available in small spray bottles at any drug store. Since her fingers don't work well - I do the spraying - 2 sprays and she is good for a few hours. Biggest benefit - less chance of choking.

I know there is more than one product out there - don't know the name of the other one. Aks the pharmacist.

Pleasant tasting mildly minty.

Hope this helps. Beth

Jane

Distinguished member
Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
CA
State
ON
City
St Catharines
dry mouth

Hello Joel. We found a product called MistR to be very helpful in relieveing dry mouth.

It was "over the counter" and came in a spray bottle.

Hope you get some help for this problem

Jane

Marjorie R. Wilcox

Diagnosis
10/2007
Country
US
State
New York
City
Richmondville
dry mouth with bipap

You are probably breathing with your mouth open while using the bipap, so get a chin strap to make you breathe through your nose. The bipap will be much more effective then too. M

Status
Not open for further replies.