Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
MN
City
Rochester
My husband recently is in need of the suction and cough assist machines. He ordered a suction machine online as soon as he got the prescription. A couple days later, when we realized it wasn't getting here soon enough, I called the local medical supply store, only to learn the following: 1) Medicare will not allow you to purchase these machines. You must first rent them at a medical supply store for $48/month for 13 months, then you will be allowed to purchase (the suction machine) for the sweet price of $625! I rented the suction machine and went home, only to find the one we ordered had arrived. Naturally, we figured we should keep the machine that was covered by Medicare, but tried them both just to be sure. The rental was horribly loud, and poor quality, not to mention USED by who knows how many others? The one we purchased online was much quieter, NEW, and just all around a better purchase...and what was the price you might ask? $135. It is no wonder SS and Medicare are going broke, they are getting horribly robbed by the medical supply stores that claim to have our best care in mind. If that is how they care, they can have it!

Just think of all the people that don't research. They get stuck with used crap not to mention taken by Med suppliers.

I have already sent an email to our state representative on this. What crap!

It's like Medicare will pay 5000 for a nursing home monthly. It takes less than half of that to care for someone at home

I am watching the World Series right now. What irks me is the money just ONE of those players makes just tonight would make a world of difference to so many!

Not that that has anything to do with my post. :)

Thank YOU! My main beef in life is that we are paying the wrong people Wayyyyyyyy too much for the wrong things. Where are our priorities? No offense Jessica Simpson, Tim Lincecum or that train-wreck, Charlie Sheen.

Sorry....yes, your post. You make a very valid point. What kind of suction machine did you get and where did you find it? We are beginning our search today as hubby had a horrible time for the first time last night with not being able to clear his throat. Scary stuff and it's just beginning.

Last edited:
Let me check on our paperwork and get back to you. I am told the cough assist device and the suction machine work hand in hand quite nicely for that. My husband is afraid to eat solids now too, due to the mucus and the feeling of choking all the time. VERY scarey stuff...Just be sure to contact your insurance provider prior to ordering anything as they require prescriptions written prior to purchase, and they may or may not cover a purchase from Amazon. Our health care savings plan is reimbursing us since Medicare won't. Let me get back to you on the machine though when I get home. Hang in there!

It is a Drive Medical Heavy Duty Suction machine. Item no.18600N. We found it on Amazon.com. Really is a whole lot cheaper and quieter! Good suction, easy to clean, remember to order the hose and tip separately, as that is they are sold.

Tom won't allow a home evaluation to get the ball rolling on supply of equipment etc. so I went online here to the "available tools and gadgets" and received a suction machine for shipping only from a fellow CAL. It is a portable unit and I can't wait to get back to Sunnybrook in December and make them show me how to work it!

I picked up a sweet little portable suction machine right here on this site. Connect near the bottom of the posting group under "Used equipment for sale" A fellow CAL offered it for shipping only!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back