AdBlock Detected

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience and to help support our community please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

Sensory Overload

LSARIOL

Reason
Loved one DX
Diagnosis
11/2016
Country
US
State
Michigan
Can any PALS explain to me what the sensory overload feels like? My sister only blink yes, no and maybe now. She cannot use her computer any longer as her one hand she had use of is no longer working. The senses she has, she had previously explained are hyper sensitive. So in a room full of noisy family it causes her anxiety. I want to be able to explain this to friends and family so that they can understand that smaller groups and lower voices makes things easier for her. I honestly don't understand it myself and she can no longer explain. She does have the computer that will do eye gaze but she is resistant and I/we do not push. If anyone can explain, I would greatly appreciate it!

lgelb

Forum Supporter
Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
09/2009
Country
US
State
WA
There are a lot of individual circumstances that go into that answer. I would explain it to them as it takes a lot of energy to even blink and stay awake (ALS affects metabolism) so the energy that you expend in processing stimuli and information without thinking about it is going to the very basics for her. Does that make sense?

When you have a bad headache, you want to lie down and rest because you are fighting the pain and it's exhausting. She is fighting for her energy full-time.

Best,
Laurie

LSARIOL

Reason
Loved one DX
Diagnosis
11/2016
Country
US
State
Michigan
Yes, thank you for your explanation.

KimT

Forum Supporter
Extremely helpful member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
08/2015
Country
US
State
South
Also, beware of fragrances. I am very sensitive to fragrances and other strong odors. I don't allow anyone with perfume or cologne in my condo. Sometimes one doesn't realize the negative impact of scents until they end up exhausted or get a migraine.

Firefighter58

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
05/2014
Country
CA
State
Ontario
I to am sensitive to loud noises, if my wife drops anything I become very sensitive for ten or fifteen minutes. I am not sensitive to smells though I do smell things that no one else smells, mostly sweet smells such as candy or chocolate where there is none and no one else smells it. It can be alarming though I sometimes smell smoke when there is none.
Al

LSARIOL

Reason
Loved one DX
Diagnosis
11/2016
Country
US
State
Michigan
Thank you for your posts. My sister had us changed her laundry detergent due to the smell. We teased her about how spoiled she was!! :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

We appreciate your understanding and cooperation!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks