Status
Not open for further replies.

terri

Distinguished member
Hi, This is my first time posting. My husband was diagnosed about 4 months ago. One foot has dropped and has very little feeling. I think this is due to swelling. My questions is, That same leg is sensitive to touch. Do any of you have the sensitivity problem? Thanks

A lot of people have told me about sensitivity usually in their feet. I am getting quite sensitive in my thumbs of all places. They are curling inwards and the outside is really sensitive to temperature changes and if I bang them it hurts like blazes. Almost like a burning sensation. I would hazard a guess that the nerve endings are more exposed due to loss of muscle.

Al, please tell me what does "foot drop" means? I have read it in the general als inforamtion, pals have spoken of it, but I am not sure I understand it exactly. Dad is walking fine still, but the left foot is weaker, and has been for several months. When he walks, say on cement surface, I can hear the left foot (tow portion) slap the surface, rather than gradually lay dawn and up. How am I to interpret this? Is it a stage? And what shoudl I be watching for next? He, too is aware of the weakness in the left foot. How long would /can this carry him? He is still very muscular, does the effect depend on how many specific muscles are already damaged?

Hi Upila. Basically it sounds like your dad has foot drop. The muscles in the shin are losing strength and not holding the toe portion up and it drops to the floor. What is next is anybody's guess. Usually being more muscular can be a benefit because you have more mass to lose. There is no way of telling how long they will last. As they say Everyone is different. When it gets worse he may be able to get a brace for his ankle to help him walk. I have a little foot drop in my left foot as well. I can still walk quite a bit but stairs are hard to do. My breathing is bad so I usually get out of breath before my legs give out. I wish I could be more positive but it sounds like your dad is progressing normally. Or as normal as you can get with ALS. Take care. Al.

Thanks, I have had this on my mind for quite a while now. It's so strange, he can run on his toes, and goes up/down the stairs without any problem. But the drop is there on flat surface. It has not caused him to trip, or fall, or hinder him in any way. I am going to have a hard night tonight. Don't think will be discussing it with mom, either. He hss been feeling really great lately, so best let it last. I also have another question: dad gets hungry quite often - could it be that all the antioxidants and supplements are causing more rapid energy/burning in the body/cells and the muscles need more fuel? He is eating very well, healthy and clean food, but we have never been big eaters, so this is somewhat odd. As soon as he feel hingry, and does not eat, he feels weak all over and then, after meal, compeltely re-charged. Is this normal? I would like to think that the body is functioning more efficiently with the strict diet/nutrients regiment - but not quite sure.

Hi Upila. From what you are saying about the energy thing I would think that his blood sugar is dropping and this might be causing the weakness. With the change in his diet and his eating habits his blood sugar could be out of balance. In older people this can be managed with pills rather than with insulin injections. Talk to his GP and have the appropriate blood and urine tests done. It might not be the problem but better to have it checked.

My husband,LB, his foot drop causes him to drag his toes. We are in the process of having him fit with a hard plastic brace to him get around a little better.

Thank you all for the information you share here. It has already helped me learn how to help LB.

:oops: That last post should have said, to help him get around a little better. Guess I'll learn to proof read.

Good morning Al,
Thank you again for your input - I thought of blood sugar issue, but did not pursue it. Now I am going to read some more, before looking into it with mom. I am smiling, though very sad at the "older people" remark - dad is in his early 50's, and looking at him, one would not even think he is more than 40 years old. He was in the best shape of his life, before this horror, both from work and regular gym exercising. Very difficult to comprehend, he still can not accept it. No one around us has even an inkling of what has taken place. He does not have a GP. For everything, I have been the source, through you, and everyone else who has posted in the forums. Reading all medical material on the internet has consumed my days and hights. Mom never uses the computer, dad's computer skills are only to read all newspapers/news/sports. It has been easier that he has not delved into all the aspects of the illness. Now, I am off to read on blood sugar.

Hi Guys,

Henry was also fitted in London with leg braces to help him walk and keep his feet from dropping when walking. Unfortunately, he only used them one summer and the continued weakness escalated. In our case once his legs started to get weak, he only walked with aide for one more year. He could still stand and bear his own weight however. This lasted until the end. Of course, everyones progression is different, but if this gives you some kind of "timeline" if that is what you are looking for it may or may not be the norm. Who knows. I know of some people that never get drop foot, so the saga continues. The braces will definitely help though.

Carol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back