Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
FL
City
Orlando
Hey everyone, hope some joy brightens your evening. Just wanted to ask if any bipap users ever wake up feeling like they have swallowed a lot of air. T says that she lately feels like she has been "eating" air while she sleeps, and then can't seem to eat as much food as normal. She has really lost a lot of weight in the past couple months, and her appetite has been a lot less than usual. Please let me know if any of you have experienced this and if you think she can do something differently to not eat air?
Thanks,
Pam

PS She was also wondering if anyone felt seeing a chiropractor helped with ALS symptoms in general. Does anyone go to the chiropractor who has noticed results?

Hi Pam- I am not experienced with the bipap but the cpap is similar except it only helps you take air in. I think mine needs to be adjusted, since at times the air flow is too soft to make me keep my mouth closed. When that happens I wake up feeling like I am choking, which makes me nauseous. I wonder if T needs her bipap adjusted? But lets see what the more experienced have to say...Cindy

NvrGiveUp said:
Hey everyone, hope some joy brightens your evening. Just wanted to ask if any bipap users ever wake up feeling like they have swallowed a lot of air. T says that she lately feels like she has been "eating" air while she sleeps, and then can't seem to eat as much food as normal. She has really lost a lot of weight in the past couple months, and her appetite has been a lot less than usual. Please let me know if any of you have experienced this and if you think she can do something differently to not eat air?
Thanks,
Pam

PS She was also wondering if anyone felt seeing a chiropractor helped with ALS symptoms in general. Does anyone go to the chiropractor who has noticed results?
Hi I know what T is talking about Its when you open your mouth in your sleep the air rushing in and you feel like your eating air. She may have to be fitted for a mask that covers her mouth and a chin brace to keep her mouth from opening.I went to a chiropracter Its good for the body but its no cure and the symptoms arent better But I feel more relaxed If that makes any sense. It give you over all good feeling if your tense or you have muscle tightness,I would say try it for a month 3 x a week and see how you feel. Good Luk Pat

I do swallow air and it comes out as burps when I change sides during the night and out the bottom end towards morning. It's just the nature of the breathing tract. We used to get air in the stomach of people when using the resuscitator in my fire days. It was caused by improper position of the airway. Repositioning helped but when you are sleeping you aren't aware of your head position so it is almost impossible I think to alleviate the problem other than to try a different pillow to change your head position.
AL.

thanks for the quick response

Good morning... Yep, T just woke up feeling like she ate air again. Thanks so much with the help on what it might be caused by. I will let her know. It's 3:00 AM, time for T to get ready for work. I hate the hours of her job, always have. Even now more since she is not feeling as strong as she used to. What a trooper.

Have a great day everyone.

Pam :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back