Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
NC
City
Carrboro
Meir Schneider, the neuromuscular massage therapist who has been working with me, is coming to North Carolina today. He is providing a free session on Tuesday evening, in addition to the training sessions.
See http://tinyurl.com/selfheal-nc

My Mom was just diagnosed with PLS last week. She has been getting increasingly weak, and is extremely depressed. What do you know about alternate tx.? Any homeopathic treatments? My family is looking into accupunture and we have an appt. this Wed. What about stem cell tx.? My sister is pregnant with her second child, and has stem cells from her 3 year old. I am encouraged to hear that you are doing better. We live in NY. Are there any local support groups here? Best of luck to you!

There is a lot of information on this forum about the questions you are asking.

If you use the search feature you will find all kinds of information.

Suffice it to say that currently there are no treatments that help. Be careful spending money on things like stem cells. We have a few members that spend in excess of $50,000.00 with no improvement.

Drycolombo,

I'm sorry to hear of your mother's diagnosis. PLS is not a pleasant disease and the only treatments in use are for symptom relief (cramping, spasticity and anxiety). If your mother isn't on any medication for anxiety, it would be worth looking into.

Many people have their massage therapist on a regular schedule (I have a daughter that is a massage therapist) and others employ accupuncture.

Your mom's doctor can further advise her regarding medication to help with depression and other symptoms.

Best of luck!

Zaphoon

We just feel so saddened to see people so desperate to find a cure this way. There will always be someone out there ready to take your money.... and you ready to spend it to gain any little hope.

Sure if a massage or pin pricks or heat or cold or prayers help.... then go for it. But don't expect too much and please don't spend very much on them. You'll find yourself in the same boat but less "well to do."

indeed--Don’t waste money on charlatans. You may find that the best therapists will be willing to give you an initial visit inexpensively or free, to see if you can get benefit. The School for Self-Healing does not claim to be able to cure ALS. In fact, Meir Schneier says there is little he can do to help with the breathing difficulties. This at first left me feeling like, “What’s the point? The breathing is critical. Why maintain the body if i lose breathing?"

But the massage therapy has been able to help me retain range of motion, limberness, circulation, and hope. One way of looking at ALS is that it will wreak havoc on your body for a number of years, and then may stabilize. Unfortunately, may PALS are so devastated by the time it is stabilized that they are physically unable or unwilling to maintain life at that level.

Stephen Hawking has been alive for a long time, but at a level that many would find unacceptable.

If you can maintain the body, that’s worthwhile in an of itself. Additionally, you increase the opportunity to benefit from future therapies or from the possibility of it stabilizing at an acceptable level of mobility.

I am well into my fifth year with the disease, and still eating, talking, swallowing, and even walking a little. I traveled to SFCA to get this therapy, found it beneficial, and invited them to NC. I found them; they didn’t fid me, which makes me more confident in their credibility,

Now I have a problem with this statement taken from the website you provided.
In this workshop, you will learn how to nurture arthritic joints and build up dystrophic and atrophic muscle, observe and experience
Now everyone who knows even the basics of atrophy knows you can not build up atrophied muscle. It's dead, you can't raise the dead and he is claiming to teach you how to with massage. Now that I would call a charlatan.

AL.

By the way Adrian, I've never seen this guy and I've more than 6 years in. I'm not walking but I'm doing everything else you're doing.

AL.

i don't think the sentence you quoted refers specifically to ALS. Surely you'd agree that people suffer muscle wasting from immobilization and subsequently recover quite often. Is that technically not "atrophy"?

Bottom line: I find the treatment beneficial and worth the money. Your mileage may vary.

Well as long as we agree to disagree without mudslinging then it can't be all bad. As they say, whatever works for you. As long as it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg.

AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back