Diagnosis
06/2009
Country
US
State
PA
City
Latrobe
May I ask if anyone with PLS or ALS has had a problem with seizures or dizzy spells? Mike has been having some for the past year, which they are trying to figure out. I am sure it's a seizure and they have given him meds to try now for that. Just wondering if it's all related. Thanks for any info.

I get bouts of vertigo but I'm almost positive it's an inner ear problem.

Marta have you tried the Eply Manuever for your vértigo. G oo gle it. It is especially good for benign posutional vértigo, which is where loose bits of cartelidge are floating around. Falls can cause this

I've tried everything Dear Lori. I wear a hearing aid in my left ear which is the ear I always get ear infections in and that ruptures when infected. Fooie.

I had bouts of seizures years ago. They put me on anti seizure meds which caused dizziness. I still had seizures on the meds. Very long story short...it was the ssri antidepressants that caused my seizures. I stopped them and all the other meds that I had during those days (i was very much un Di ag nosed at that time) and never had a seizure again. My gp helped me ween off a couple of the drugs. I had left the doc who originally put me on that dangerous path in my healthcare (although this was my experience, yours may be different). The old doc wouldn't listen when I told him I thought it was the ssri causing it. My seizures always happened after taking the antidepressant.

There are meds that can cause seizures, as she said--but I would doubt ALS or PLS would. Different areas affected.

People have all kinds of reactions to meds. Have they done an MRI and sleep-deprived EEG?

If he's on a med like Neurontin, they are sometimes used for seizures, and can cause dizziness in lots.

About 6 weeks before my husband passed he experienced 3 or 4 full body spasms while we were sitting at the dinner table. For the last 2 weeks of Bob's life, he was having full body spasms at night. Then, about 5 days before he died ,he had spasms every hour or so. They were full body contractions and they were painful for him. Of course, in the last five days all the docs at the ALS Clinic were away so we were dealing on the phone with our GP and she was in touch with a neurologist (not ALS). They both thought Bob was having seizures so we tried anti-seizure meds and they didn't help so we took him off them as they were also making him very loopy and nobody wanted him to feel this way. He had said he didn't ever want to be on meds that made him feel anything other than himself. When the ALS Neurologist returned and called (finally), she said by my description they were spasms not seizures. No tongue biting, etc. She did say that it's common for PALS to have these "spasms" but not as many as what Bob went through. So, it's not unheard of. Sorry you're going through this. Yasmin.

Yep. Hubby had vertigo (until he started getting B12 injections and after that went on a gluten free diet, for Celiac Desease) and he also had seizures. He wasn't on any meds then, so it couldn't have been a reaction to anything like that. He's now on Lamotrigine and it controls them well.

May I ask if anyone with PLS or ALS has had a problem with seizures or dizzy spells? Mike has been having some for the past year, which they are trying to figure out. I am sure it's a seizure and they have given him meds to try now for that. Just wondering if it's all related. Thanks for any info.

I have PLS and no seizures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back