00/0000
Country
US
State
PA
City
Pittsburgh
Hello!

I am a caregiver for a PALS using a PWC. She has more arm weakness vs leg weakness and is still ambulatory but recently got a PWC in preparation for disease progression. One issue we have run into is that when she wants to get up from the wheel chair the foot plates need to be moved to safely stand and transfer. Due to her arm weakness she is unable to easily manage pulling the plates up and subsequently putting them back down when she returns to the chair. There is almost no shoulder strength and only minimal grip strength and wrist (2/5-3/5) on manual muscle test grade) Any recommendations or tricks that have been found would be so helpful!

Thank you all in advance and I wish you well!!:)

When I used to be able to, I would use the back of my feet ( I guess they're called heels) to pull up the footrest, which also involved my legs pulling up, and when I was back in the seat I'd use my whole foot to push them down. My arms were never involved.

Thanks your your advice! We have tried that but unfortunately arthritis in her knees is limiting her range of motion to do that

I’m leg onset. Initially I was able to kick the foot pedals up and down myself using my heels. Eventually my upper leg muscles weakened to the point where I can’t move my feet on the pedals and someone else has to help me. I don’t have enough arm strength to manually lift my legs either. Unfortunately it’s part of the evolution of ALS.

foot plates need to be moved to safely stand and transfer. Due to her arm weakness she is unable to easily manage pulling the plates up and subsequently putting them back down when she returns to the chair.

Hopefully your PALS will be ambulatory for many more years. I was able to use my cane to pull up and push down my foot plates. Definitely could not bend over to adjust the foot plates.

Take care.

I’ve used a dressing stick to raise and lower my foot rests. Not sure this will work but maybe...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back