10/2015
Country
TH
State
TH
City
Southern Thailand
Hello, hello--

I have just joined this site, and this is my first post. I am in need of a therapist or group for support via video chat.

I am trying to take care of my mother, who was diagnosed with ALS five years ago. She is well into stage 4A, but is very hesitant to have a tracheotomy. I was able to keep my job before, but now I cannot even leave the room where my mother is. With the way my family works, I am the only person in the family who can look after her. I am with her all day and all night. Recently, we hired a part-time nurse who helps at night. This is a big help, but it is not enough, particularly emotionally.

I live in a small town in southern Thailand. There are no hospice organizations here. There are no ALS organizations in Thailand. There are no such support groups. While I am able to physically take care of my mother, I am in desperate need of emotional support. I have never faced taking care of a dying person, and I don't know anyone at all who has dealt with ALS. I have been doing this for one year now, and I feel like it is destroying my soul as I watch my mother's body be destroyed. My love for my mother now competes with recurring hate for destroying my life.

I am hoping to find someone or a group who can help me through this, someone who understands ALS. I am truly at my wits end. Thai language would be best for me, of course, but such counseling simply isn't available in Thailand, so I have gone to the internet to search for counseling in English. While I prefer Thai, English is fine for me. It is more important to me that the counselor understand and have experience with ALS than speak Thai.

Please tell me if you know anyone or any groups with whom I could do a video chat counseling with. Any leads would be incredibly useful to me.

Many thanks,

Zuppy

The ALS Association here in the US has a lot of support groups, many that currently doing virtual support groups because of current COVID restrictions. I don’t know what their rules are for people that live out of the country, but they’d probably be a good start. I’m so sorry for what you’re going through. I spent many years taking care of my mother when she had Alzheimers. It was torture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Zuppy,
I hope you find some video support group!

Meanwhile share your experiences here. You are not alone, in your need or your feelings. No matter how much you love your mother, your resentment is real and understandable. You have given up your entire life for your mother, and it's impossible to comprehend what that means emotionally.

Many of us share that same overwhelming burden, and all the emotions that go with it. So as you share here, you are in good company.

I wish you well, and hope others know about online groups you can join.

Dear Zuppy, so sorry to welcome you here. My husband was diagnosed with ALS nearly 5 years ago. The major caregiving needs started about 18 months ago.

Your words are so true, I am overwhelmed with sorrow for him and also hate what this illness has done to both of our lives. I am wondering, with Covid19 these days, are Thai doctors doing video visits? Perhaps you could find a therapist who can help you if so.

Regardless I have found everyone here to be so kind and supportive. I have gotten help here with my husband's needs and also just help from others who know what this is like. You are not alone. People here have allowed me to vent, to be angry, to be sad, and to not lose sight of myself and my husband as people. You are doing the hardest job and we are here for you.

V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back