Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we will go with the EZ Lite Deluxe, HD 12 model. I have a bid on one on a new one on eBay. This model weighs 56# I think (with the standard battery). We will go for the standard battery because it is approved for airplane check-in. I think this model is the best for our purposes. I found a review yesterday for foldables; I will attach it tomorrow if I remember/find it again. The review rated the EZ Lite HD12 #1 and said they found nothing not to like about this chair......!

My only reservation would be if your PALS loses core strength, will it give support?
And neck strength - does it have a head rest that attaches and will allow you to keep the head up?

My only reservation would be if your PALS loses core strength, will it give support?
And neck strength - does it have a head rest that attaches and will allow you to keep the head up?

That is one of the advantages of the EZ Lite is that it can recline and there is an attachment for the head. I would also recommend the leg attachment that can "recline" up or down.

I think it is the best option for someone who can get themselves in and out of a vehicle.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 216
  • Capture2.jpg
    Capture2.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 251
  • Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 258
  • Capture4.JPG
    Capture4.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 274
  • Capture5.JPG
    Capture5.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 237
  • Capture6.JPG
    Capture6.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 257
Yes, it has an optional headrest. Also, I am purchasing this chair, but Medicare will pay for a more "sophisticated" model, capable of many refinements/upgrades as needed (such as arm supports, lateral trunk stabizers, etc.). You can also purchase swing away, elevating leg rests as Pete shows (albeit very expensive). My husband is experiencing a similar course as Pete. Although he was diagnosed with limb onset ALS, his breathing is now the most compromised ...... I am not sure if he will make it to the stage where his trunk/head control are compromised.

I have learned that deluxe model weighs 58# without the battery; add 6.5# for the battery and a total of 64.5#. I lifted our standard, push model w/chair with one arm today while usinig a luggage hook weight measure; it weighs 37# without leg rests. I was curious as to the weight and if I could lift the EZ Lite Deluxe without too much of a struggle. I would not recommend it for women who have no caregivers/family to assist them in lifting it into the car, unless they know in advance that they can lift 64.5#.

There is a promo right now - EZSUMMER, which will give you 4 freebies (travel bag, back pack, arm rest bag and cup holder).:)

dkcarl62 & konagirl, I forgot to answer your questions:

Carl - I am assuming you want a chair that will pull up to a restaurant table without the armrest getting in the way? If so, you want to look for swing away or elevating/flip up arm rests IF your trunk stability is good! Most of these portables do not have armrests that fully remove, and since I have not seen any in person yet, I do not know if the flip-up arms will be out of the way enough not to be annoying in the case you mention. Some standard wheelchairs have what are called "desktop" armrests, which are usually removable/reversible and allow the front portion of the armrest to slide under a desk or table. Again, I have not seen this feature in the portable models myself.

Kona - I did hear back from Fold 'n Go. I like the fact that they are made in AZ and that is where their warehouse is. Several features that I wanted were missing from their chairs though (particularly the ability to recline at least somewhat is essential in my opinion to provide pressure relief and this chair does not have that feature. Also, the top speed of their chairs is 4mph vs 5mph on other companies models. Higher speed translates as more torque when going up an incline. Also, the Fold 'n Go does not offer optional "standard" type of elevating leg rests, head support, and attendant push handles that are available, albeit expensive, from EZ Lite).

We have the EZ Lite deluxe HD model and love it. We purchased it ourselves and are in the process of ordering a more sophisticated version from Medicare. The EZ Lite has met his needs for quite some time and while it is somewhat awkward to lift because of the size, not just the weight, I find that I can lift it myself with minimal difficulties. I do have a blanket that I keep in the trunk and drape over the back of the car so that I don't have to worry about scraping things up in case I need to rest it and regrip in the process of sliding it in. Otherwise, we have traveled extensively with it and it sturdy and reliable!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back