Diagnosis
12/2015
Country
US
State
PA
City
Small town
I was wondering if anyone out there has experience with a lightweight, foldable power chair? I have been looking on line for at least a week. There are many options, actually, but they vary in pricing and somewhat on cosmetics, power, and weight. My husband is still able to walk, but only short distances. He also has full trunk control as of this point. I am looking to purchase a light weight portable that I can fold up and put in the trunk and be able to use for taking him out & about. I also want one that can be pushed manually by an assistant (me). The lightest weight model I found that also has lots of service centers in the US and has a decent warranty weighs 41# I think. I want to purchase this soon'ish. I am purchasing this because it will be very beneficial to his quality of life now. If my PALS lives long enough, we will get a more elaborate/adaptable power chair in the future, but have insurance cover as much of that as possible. Incidentally, I also have an old loaner, FWD power chair loaned from a family member, but it is quite large and I call it "the tank"!

I would appreciate feedback from owners of such chairs, or anyone who understands what I should be looking for, specifically in the categories of power/performance (for instance, I read that torque and incline % and overall power is important if I want the chair to be able to climb any hills at all and be able to travel over grass .......). I do want the chair to be able to handle a variety of terrain, and have a small turning radius, but I do not expect it to have the same power and capabilities of a full time, heavy duty powerchair. I would also look for one that has anti-tippers on it and removable/flip back armrests. I think most of the ones I have viewed are FWD.

No worries about me being able to lift the chair into the trunk of our car. I can probably handle quite a bit more than 41#, but I don't want to put myself under unnecessary wear and tear either.

Thank you for your anticipated responses!

Last edited:
I'll be very interested in responses to this post as well. We've begun looking around for such a chair for me for the same reasons. The ones we've looked at break down into 3 or 4 components for transport. We've not encountered any as light as 41#, though that is the approximate weight of the heaviest component of those we've seen or read about.

Do a search here bucky, there have been some threads by PALS who have bought and really liked some :) I don't remember the details which is why I'm suggesting a search.

Dear Buckhorn
I can still walk but not very far. My husband bought a Luggie which is a lightweight foldable travel scooter. It weighs 53 lbs and is great for now. Of course at some point I will need a chair but I have traveled all over including on a river cruise in Europe.

It folds up like a stroller . I drive it right on the airplane , hubby folds it. And they put it below. I never have to look for a place to sit. I can go to the mall, used it in the als walk etc.

I bought it on amazon new for $980 . Hand rests were addition $165.

I am not sure if this is what you are looking for, I hope it helps.

Cheers,
Jocalyn

I have done a lot of research on this and unfortunately a "real" good option does not exist, I have been toying with making my own.

The best I have found to date is the EZ Lite Cruiser Deluxe DX12 Model. I would choose the DX12 Model because of the larger rear wheels. The larger the wheels the easier it is to get over curbs etc. I would also choose the 15AH battery options. This should assure that you do not run out of juice. Overall I suggest the EZ Lite model because it has the ability to add tilting leg extensions, a head rest, and the back will recline. It is the only light weight unit I have found with all this flexibility. As far as turn radius, speed and incline it matches all the other light weight folding units on the market.

If you are at all a "do it yourselfer" you can by power wheels, controller and a battery that will work with any standard big wheel wheelchair. You pop off the existing wheels and replace them with the electronic wheels and kit. They are available at hallomotor dot com then on the left side pick e-wheelchair conversion kit.

A company called Trekinetic make the closest thing in a wheelchair to what I would like (the picture is below). I want one that has the large wheels in the front which would make it easy to get over obstructions. The wheels should also "quick release" off like on a road racing bicycle - this would make it easy to transport. The seat should tilt and have head rest and leg extension options. It should also use lithium ion batteries and have an aluminum carbon fiber frame (most race bicycles use this technology). So there is my wish list.

The EZ Lite meets most of it but the wheels are on the back and not the front. There are some Chinese imports that have the wheels on the front but they weigh over 100lbs - to heavy!

Attachments

• all-terrain-mobility.jpg
    all-terrain-mobility.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 824
  • all-terrain-off-road-wheelchairs.jpg
    all-terrain-off-road-wheelchairs.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 2,045
zingerchair.com

M has been using a Zinger for two years. We got it originally in Singapore. It has been available in the US since last November. It has liberated him when we go out as it fits in any car trunk. It is not for anybody who does not have good core strength or upper limb use. Cons: does not do well on wet surfaces or very uneven surfaces, no neck support or reclining ability, not covered by insurance, reverse mode could be better.
Pros: fun to drive, fast, folds easily, comes assembled, charges with battery in place or removed, charges quickly, service people have been very helpful, and fits even in a mini. I am happy to answer any questions.

The same inventor has a kit to transform ultralight rigid chairs into a powerchair. This conversion has a joy stick instead of levers
Anna

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 513
Thank you all for your replies. Pete, if I can locate it again, I found a web-site the other day where this man gave step-by-step instructions and photos on his customized power chair. Somehow I have lost the bookmark!? I am not a do-it-yourself'er - not at all!! That was always my PALS/hubby's job! I have had to learn how to replace an air filter on a lawn mower, etc., and I am learning, but I have never been mechanically minded!

Tillie, I have done searches here on the forum, but it is very frustrating to me. When I do the search (for whatever), I find topics, click on one I am interested in and that all works fine. However, when I try to go back to the search list, it is always GONE, and I am taken back to the forum page where I initiated the search (and the previous search list is gone......). Anyway, that's my excuse, & I guess I was hoping some people who are mechanically minded/inclined would chime in on what they think the most important mechanical/inherent features (not cosmetic or easily altered) would be (thanks Pete!).

Jocalyn, thank you for your input as well, but I am pretty sure the Luggie would only be useable on level surfaces, such as asphalt, concrete,, and indoor surfaces.

Avnl, I have seen the Zinger, but I am not really comfortable with the idea of no sides/armrests and the method of propulsion.

These are some of the websites & models that I have found, for my particular & current interest (lightweight, foldable/portable, but powerful enough to climb small hills and driveable on grass).

foldablewheelchairs (dot-com) has a LOT of models listed, with quite a few of them being EZ lite models.

wheelchair88 (dot-com) has a nice selection of lightweight, foldables, but they seem to have limited US dealerships and service would then be a concern.

discovermymobility (dot-com) has a really great selection of all types of wheelchairs. They also have many portable power chair options. It is on their site that I discovered the "Air Hawk", which is one of several I am interested in for my husband. This is the one I mentioned in my OP that only weighs 41#. It comes with many free, standard features - (including a 2nd battery) and has a very tight turning radius (27.3"). The videos show that it is quite capable on various, outdoor terrain, and the incline capability is 23% slope (12.44 degrees). I am not crazy abut the size of the wheels, the foot plate area looks a bit flimsy, & I don't think it reclines.

1800wheelchair (dot-com) also has many options, including many EZ chairs. I am interested in the Move Lite folding power chair; weighs 50#, appears very easy to switch from attendant propelled to power option, and very easy to fold. Turning radius is 31.5", and incline capability is 12 deg. I like the larger back wheels. I don't think it reclines (bummer!), and I don't see anti-tippers on the back (which is probably an easy modification).

To be continued ........!

What I do when I search with the google box at the top is I right click on a result and choose to open in a new tab.

That way my search list remains showing in the original tab, and I can open up lots of results separately and compare them :)

Might be harder on an iPad or tablet though ...

I will try that Tillie. Most of the time I am typing on my laptop with attached mouse. I'm not exactly a computer whiz, Lol!! There are quite a few things I still am not really sure of how to do on this forum, but it's not important enough for me to waste too much time figuring it out. Like many CALS, I am very busy, especially with trying to keep this jungle of property we have somewhat under control!

I am also interested in the "Fold and Go" wheelchairs (foldandgowheelchairs dot-com), and I found that from one of your earlier posts Pete (thanks!). My PALS is not a big guy anymore. He is 5' 9" and just about 156# now, so he would not need the "heavy duty" version of their chairs for size/weight, but I am interested in the larger wheels that are on the HD version. I wrote to the company to ask what the specs are for torque & incline capabilities as well as ability to drive on small stones (stone driveway), grass, etc. We live in a rural area and there is NO asphalt or sidewalks out here in the "boonies", and our driveway is stone. I am surprised that the HD model has the same turning radius and peak speed as the "standard" version. Often the HD versions have more power & higher speed, which I have read translates into better incline & outdoor terrain capabilities. In my e/mail to the company, I also asked if the standard model could be customized with the larger wheels and still remain foldable, and if the wheelchair can be used as a manual/push wheelchair by a caregiver. I am not sure I will come up with what I think is a close to perfect chair for our needs, but I will continue to share what I find here, in the hopes it will help someone else.

I have been searching for a while now for a power chair that will fit our long term needs as ALS patients. One that will be able to be broken down into a couple of parts (for easy transportation) for our beginning stages when we can self transfer, but that can be left together for use in a van etc as we progress and need to be in 24/7. It also must be covered by Medicare.

I get infuriated that I can not find one or get any help from the ALS association in locating one. I have been searching and searching and it just does not seem to exist.

To make it worse it has been recommended that I get Hospice care arranged. If I do, then Medicare will not pay for a PWC so I need to get it ordered first. Why is this so difficult?? I do not want to have to buy a van to transport a huge chair when I do not know if I will be around long enough. I also don't want to be trapped in a house or into spending several thousands of dollars I don't have.

Everyone wants to know what they can do to help us. This seems like a very practical way that the ALS association or some other group could be of real assistance.

Hi Pete. Have you gone to a wheelchair clinic yet (we have not). I have been told, all I need to do is talk to our neuro when we want to do this. One of the PT's who runs the w/chair clinic is actually a co-worker of mine. She told me that our doctor will tell the company rep. whatever we need (in other words, he will stretch the truth a bit about current state of mobility, etc., because it takes so d**n long to get a power chair). I understand what you are talking about though. I have not yet begun to search what types of chairs Medicare will "allow" for PALS. I think they most likely, due to the diagnosis, want PALS to have chairs that can be constantly upgraded as needed (head support, trunk support, multiple recline options, etc., that can be modified as needed). In our particular case I intend to purchase a lightweight/portable and have Medicare purchase the fully functioning power chair. My battle will be to get them to pay for a 4 wheel drive or extremely capable outdoor chair. We do not have sidewalks or even asphalt roads where we live. It is 1.4 miles until you hit a paved road. My husband has always been a nature lover & outdoors person, and our land is hilly & grassy and our driveway is stone. So - I will probably have a battle on my hands to try to get a power w/chair that I can get him out and about out here in the country!

I do understand your frustration at getting Medicare to pay for a much less expensive chair that will be functional for you right now and in the near future. Ask about the wheelchair clinic if you have not already. They may have some options or at least be able to tell you the whys & wherefores of Medicare reimbursement for wheelchairs, depending upon diagnosis codes. Medicare is a big bureaucracy, and many things they do are baffling to many of us.........

I'm enclosing this as an example for others, as to why you most likely are having difficulties getting Medicare to pay for what you want (and why they probably won't pay for what I would like for my PALS in the future). This newsletter explains that Medicare, among other things/criteria, will only pay for a powerchair which is for use in your home.......

"Medicare will only pay for indoor use as per the law - Durable Medical Equipment is only for “home use”. Although Medicare is only interested in home use of your PWC, you do have options regarding features that will best serve you in your total environment but that may require some out of pocket expense. Medicare will only pay for items they deem “medically necessary” which excludes anything that would not be used in the home. (i.e. rough terrain PWC, seat elevators, etc...)"

http://www.alsphiladelphia.org/document.doc?id=2150

I'd love to find a chair that would accommodate a restaurant table. Thoughts?

Deb

Hi Buckhorn,

I too have been looking for a lightweight foldable wheelchair for my husband. He is also a smaller guy, 160lbs and 5'9, but I want the HD for the bigger tires as well. I am wanting to order something by next week at the latest and just cant seem to make my mind up.

At first I really thought I had settled on the AirHawk, looked like the best bang for the buck and all the freebies are definitely attractive. BUT, after research I just cant find much out there on this chair. Looks like discovermymobility is the only rep for them. I cant find a site of their own, any reviews out there or even a youtube tutorial....its strange. I called discovermymobility and found out A)They are not good chairs for all terrain and B) They are all on backorder 4-6 weeks except for pink. Hubby would probably get pretty pissy if I ordered him a pink chair :)

So after expanding my options I am now bouncing back and forth between the EZ Light Delux and the Fold and Go HD. They each have things I want...the fold and go is MUCH lighter, especially if I get the 15AH battery (which is not allowed on an airplane, a con) in the EZ....but I really like the reclining feature in the EZ. Ultimately its the weight that I have an issue with the EZ on, with that 15AH battery, this chair will weigh close to 70lbs. Looks like EZ has excellent customer service though, check out all the amazon reviews out there. They also have better options for accessories down the road if needed.

Have you heard back from fold and go yet? I was about to email them myself for more spec info but them I saw your thread. Im interested to know what you go with !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back