00/0000
Country
US
State
TX
City
Arlington
Good afternoon,

I started having minor weakness in hands in August so I saw a neurologist and he did an EMG which was normal. Since then I have developed wide spread twitching . I am also having difficulty with dexterity with my thumbs. I am able to button buttons and hold a pen but my grip just feels weird. Last week I developed a lump in my throat but not difficulty swallowing. Since then my upper lip has started to twitch as well as my eye. Now I feel like my arms are weak and I feel like my arms are heavy when I try to type at work. I have seen my neurologist and he said my strength seems good. I’m 31. My anxiety is insanely high and has been since February after having a baby and entering the covid season and moving. A lot of big changes. I’ve been worried about ALS since the beginning of August and my symptoms just keep getting worse and when I look online ALS comes up over and over again.
Does this sounds like the start of ALS?

No, it does not, and the normal EMG argues against as well.

Most common reasons for the issues you're having are anxiety, lack of sleep, and an unrecognized virus. If you are female and actually had the baby, iron and B vitamins could be low as well, and are associated with twitching, weird feelings, and feeling weak. New babies and moving are not recipes for restful sleep, either.

If you don't already take one, a multi with iron is worth a try, staying hydrated, working on your sleep/stress, etc. Find a way to carve out time to just be, vs. being on the go and battling a deadline. Feeling a throat lump can reflect GERD, allergies and/or a dry mouth, with GERD and dry mouth associated with anxiety.

You get the idea. Any combination of the above is way more likely than any systemic disease.

Best,
Laurie

Thanks Laurie! I’m hoping it is all stress. I’ve had my electrolytes and vitamin levels checked and they were normal. However, some supplements prob would not hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back