Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
MA
City
Southwick
Before I start I want to make sure you all know I am by no means trying to take away or belittle your knowledge or experiences and i have read the stickies, many of them but i think realistically in my head im linking things that arent really there so, if you dont mind taking the time and hearing me out, id appreciate it.

I read about muscle twitching and clinical weakness being the factor here. Cuz i do have muscle twitching thats been going on for some time and it is not like the muscle twitching you all describe as in starting in one place and branching out from that one location as this will be a twitch in my foot, then my hand, then my biceps, then my abdomen and only occurring when i am at rest etc. I do suffer from pretty bad anxiety so i understand the connection between those two are very real and even likely. My only issue is i have weakness but i cant figure out if that is perceived weakness or clinical weakness. I went to my primary care doctor yesterday and he made me squeeze his fingers, pull and push him, raise my legs from a laying position and just checking my strength and he felt everything was fine and ordered some blood tests for vitamin deficiencies and so on. I understand if my doctor says my strength seems fine then my clinical weakness is not real and its only perceived, but my question is there value in seeking further advice from a neurologist given something maybe im not explaining right or perceiving right?

Again, i understand you all will state if your doctor thinks you are fine with strength then the twitching/weakness is in my head or what have you, but i just wanted to make sure by asking you all. I truly appreciate the time and i hope I have not offended or feel like I am wasting your time.

You have not presented any reason to seek out a neurologist. Contrary to what you think you read, widespread, sporadic, here-and-there twitching is a hallmark of benign twitching, not anything ALS-related. Rethinking diet, hydration, stress, exercise, sleep and even your sleep/work/lounging positioning can help.

My advice if your fears persist is to seek more/better help for your health anxiety, lest it take over your life.

Best,
Laurie

You answered your own question - your doctor is the one who can diagnose clinical weakness and he tested you very specifically for that and you did not display it. That is the end of it. Please don't decide you must be smarter than your doctor, but if you are not satisfied go get a second opinion. Just don't ask if this is ALS or you skew everything and waste time in the diagnostic process.
Twitching really means nothing.

I didn’t mean anything negatively from asking if my PCPs exam is enough. I know there are real people on here with real symptoms and lives. I simply just wanted to make sure due to fears and anxieties which I understand are my burden and I have to get control and believe that my PCP would certainly know better than me what clinical weakness is. I’ll push forward and I’m sorry to bother anyone here.

no bother, you have asked and now received really good advice and can move on to letting your doctors decide what is next. all the very best.

Thanks Laurie for your time and direction. Anxiety seems to be a leading cause here of my fears and whatever weakness or twitching I’m experiencing I’m guessing is in my head. If my PCP says I don’t have any weakness he can tell then I have to accept that. And I am seeking help from a psychologist for my medical anxiety issues, tomorrow in fact. So I am taking your advice to heart. I’m truly grateful for everyone’s time on this forum. Thank you and I’m sorry for wasting anyone’s time.

If I can be a bother once more and I understand I have to sit ans live with my anxiety. But i am having a lot of twitches sure ans that’s nothing as i have read but what about involuntary movements. Like reflexes being off? Is that anxiety too? Should I ask for a consult for neurologist to be safe? Whatever you say, unless you ask me a question, this will be the last time
I post here. I’m sorry

Involuntary movements ( like jerks I think you mean) are not worrisome for ALS and are not reflexes.

if the reflex is a separate question 1 you can not test your own reflexes. No one can not even the most experienced neurologist 2 reflexes can not be reliably tested by someone else not medically trained no matter how much youtube they watch 3 if your doctor found hyperreflexes they are common in the young and in the anxious and even happen in healthy people who are neither If your doctor wasn’t worried you should not be

as always if you have new health concerns speak with your pcp

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back