Diagnosis
07/2013
Country
Uni
State
FL
City
Pompano Beach
Hello, friends. My 73 year old Dad was diagnosed with bulbar ALS in June. He's been slurring since December. His speech has gotten bad, but no signs anywhere else. He is seeing the ALS doctor for the first time since his diagnosis next week.

What questions do you recommend we ask or services should we request?

Thank you. Every time one of you presses send, you help me get through this.

Sorry for you and your family. I just want to welcome you to the forum. Are you going to a als clinic? From what I have heard the others talk about the clinics are real good about helping you stay ahead of the disease. I am sure other will chime in and give suggestions. You may want to move your post or repost your question on the "newly Diagnosed" thread. It will get more traffic there.

Is his swallowing still ok? Talk to them about getting a peg even before he may need it. It has made my mom's life a lot easier. I agree that u should post further up in the ALS categories - I don't always pay attention to this forum. Hope this helps. Trina

Thanks to both of you. I will repost. Also, as far as the PEG, I have heard that it is good to get one before its necessary, but timing is so tough. Right now, beyond speech and some swallowing, my Dad seems fine. It will be very tough getting him to take that step I fear until the disease starts manifesting itself. I guess the random timeline of this terrible illness is a blessing, because it gives hope that it will go slower, but it can also be a curse because it is so unpredictable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back