Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
Uni
State
California
City
Roseville
I'm 44 my name is Royce. First off I'm grateful for your time and helpfulness to those of us seeking advice. I recently posted concerns a week ago which atsugi was nice enough to take the time to answer. Please understand that I have read the posts and just would like some clarification on my new symptoms. The last 2 days I have had twitching and cramping I guess you could say in both my feet at the toes and arch of foot and in my calfs. So much so it's kept me up all night. I have read that the twitching can be secondary. I have had muscle fatigue in my legs for a month, but no type of complete loss of use. My legs and calfs are sore and can barely hold my weight. The twitching won't stop in both feet and calfs. I have had twitching periodically in arms, legs, fingers, biceps, and triceps, but they have gone away and now seems to have settled in my feet and calfs. I will say my initial symptoms were in my arm and affected my grip along with numbness and that has somewhat improved. I don't know if I have atrophy in my legs or feet but I have lost a fair amount of weight. I don't have any numbness in my feet or legs. I am very stressed and anxious about all of this. Thank you so much for reading. Any advice is very much appreciated.

Can the muscles affected degenerate slowly or just quit working one day?

I read your previous posts, and I still don't see ALS. Possibly there is something physical going on, but it isn't ALS.

Lots of conditions lead to twitching. Many totally healthy people have twitches.

Cramping is bothersome, usually temporary, but not a reason to look into ALS.

Muscle fatigue: I think you mean your muscles feel fatigued and sometimes are weak and give up, not holding you up. Take ibuprofin to relieve the pain and reduce any inflammation. If this persists for more than a few days, I'd see a GP and follow their advice.

You wouldn't see atrophy of a muscle until after that muscle has been limp, unused, and paralyzed for a number of weeks or months.

Weight loss can be explained by anxiety and stress. It wouldn't the first thing seen in a new case of ALS. See my previous post in your first thread, where I explained how ALS works.

You write that you're "very stressed and anxious." I agree. In fact, twitches, cramping, muscle fatigue, and weight loss are classic symptoms of anxiety. Ask yourself, what has recently changed in your life? Promotion? Pregnancy? Relationships?

Anxiety is usually temporary and is fixed with talk therapy assisted by medications. Serious anxiety is important and life-altering.

You should get treatment for that anxiety.

You asked about how fast muscles become paralyzed. In the experience of the people I know with ALS, including my wife, they say it happens pretty quickly, sometimes nearly overnight.

I'm not a doctor and I can't diagnose you. But I know ALS fairly well and there is no reason to go there.

Mike, I'm so grateful for the time you take for me. I'm hopeful this will pass. I will let you know what I find out. This twitching has me so concerned and couple that with muscle fatigue and I have a recipe for panic. I'm finding to much information on the internet is not always helpful. I'm sorry for your loss. I'll be in touch. Take care friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back