Diagnosis
09/2017
Country
SP
State
NY
City
Lugo
My father has been suffering from upper motor neuron signs over the past three years, with no apparent lower involvement (clean EMG and still no fasciculations), which led doctors to think of PLS. In a second EMG, the results are indicative of "mononeuritis multiplex or motor radiculopathy", but the doctors say that the clinical evaluation does not match those results.

Has anyone ever had similar results on EMG? The doctors ordered yet another EMG (!) because they said that they were quite puzzled.

I am finding solace on the fact that my father's disease does seem to have a slow progression, whatever it might be (2 years and a half after noticing first weakness in right hand, he still walks without a cane at home, drives, carries relatively heavy things, and has speech and breathing completely unaffected; also he regained body muscle thanks to physical therapy and has experienced no wasting or weight loss). Still praying that the disease remains under control!

Many thanks,
Emanol

On the ENCALS list, there are five centers in Spain. Perhaps a consultation at one of them would help clarify. I'm not sure more EMGs at the same center will help. Did they do a spine MRI?

On the bright side, as you say, he's progressing slowly and hopefully has many good years ahead.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back