Diagnosis
05/2015
Country
US
State
Oregon
City
Portland
My husband has started using BiPAP during the day. His full-face mask works well at night but we want a smaller mask to use when he's awake. A rep at the company that supplies his BiPAP equipment claims that Medicare will only cover one type of mask, and that their system will only handle one type.

Are there people here for whom Medicare covers two types of mask, or do you have to pay for the second type yourself? I need to make some more phone calls but thought I'd start here for anecdotal evidence.

Janis

Hello Janis. I am uncertain of how the medical insurance works in the USA, but here in Canada, a doctor has to prescribe a type mask, and as long as it is a prescription by a doctor, they will cover one mask a year. I have to pay upfront and send it for reimbursement. I have had both nasal pillow mask, and a nose mask and have recently got a new rx for a full face mask, due to leakage from my sagging lip. Some local ALS Society offices who have equipment programs, may be able to help supply a mask

Medicare will only cover one mask. Which can be replaced every six months.
Patrick

Medicare will only cover one mask. Which can be replaced every six months.
Patrick

I was able to get the nasal pillow mask after six months from Medicare. So in my case it could be a different mask but only every six months. At this point we have three different maskß and sometimes trade them out when I get a sore spot on the nose

If you buy outside Medicare, use somewhere like cpap.com where some masks have return insurance if they don't work out. I recommend the Circadiance Advance nasal mask to try as it is softer (cloth) and lighter. $69 with free insurance at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back