Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
11/2022
Country
US
State
NY
I'm confused whether it's safe to use a short, rigid seatbelt extender. I have trouble buckling and unbuckling. Sometimes I drive by myself. I don't get the pedals mixed up and I can turn my head well before changing lanes.

I guess that when someone else is in the car with me, I should not use the extender, and ask the person to assist.

Given what you've described in other posts, I would question your driving at all. There are other people on the road, and the greatest risk of an accident is often when reacting to the unexpected.

I don't get the pedals mixed up, and where I live, things are straightforward. I've lived in Wash., DC, and Long Island. I wouldn't drive in an environment like that.

Do you have trouble with hand dexterity?
It's not the pedals, it's reacting to situations quickly with your hands.

Oh. You mean steering?

I've adopted routes that don't include stressful merging. Believe it or not, except in heavy winds, I'm still a better driver than my spouse.

I think in March I'll be able to get transportation benefits and I'm looking forward to trying that out.

Right now, our temps are so low, both cars' batteries have become iffy and I'm not doing any driving. Plus, recovering from RIG, so actually not even leaving my bedroom at present. I have a lightweight shelf my laptop sits on.

ok, I would suggest you understand that you may not be covered by insurance if you do have an accident. If you have not disclosed to your insurance company that you have a progressive neurological condition they may refuse to pay.

We are not saying you are not a good driver.

If your hands are affected then you just don't know how you would manage in an emergency and these are normally caused by another drive or external situation happening suddenly.

Oh. My left hand is almost like it used to be, and with my right, it's weird, certain things I can still do, despite the tiny muscle left between my thumb and palm (thenar?). I will explain to my family and suggest some changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back