Diagnosis
11/2012
Country
US
State
Missouri
City
St. Louis
I have trouble standing up from a chair if my knees are higher than my hip sockets. I can no longer sit on most/all couches, for example, because I can't get up. Does anyone know of or have tried a seat cushion that would raise up a low seat? I googled wheelchair cushions, and these may work, but they are 16x18, and I was wondering if there was anything that could serve as a "seat cushion" commercially available with larger dimensions.

Bob

Bob - try searching for couch legs. We found 5" legs we could screw into the couch that raised it up. There were various heights you could buy, we bought the 'tallest'. I haven't seen higher than 5". We found them on a m a z o n.

my occupational therapist suggested using a boat cushion at restaurants when the booth seating is too low to get back up. That might help you to. I think it's uncomfortable to sit on,too hard.

I only sit in chairs/couches with arm rests.. Or I have someone there to help me up..My issues with restaurants is the standard height toilets and no grab bars :-( .. Love my recliner/lifter at home.. ♥ I also got the higher toilet and a versa frame for my washroom at home.

This might sound dumb but I'm sorry I don't know what a versa frame is. My dad does have the higher toilet and he loves his recliner/lifter.

They also make portable lift seats that have a hydraulic lift... Look for seat assists...

Jen

Like Jen said, search for "seat assist" They are for chairs.

Thanks. Good idea. When I mentioned that to my sister, she said she elevated the couch after she broke her hip. But she used bed risers.

<Bob - try searching for couch legs. We found 5" legs we could screw into the couch that raised it up. There were various heights you could buy, we bought the 'tallest'. I haven't seen higher than 5". We found them on a m a z o n.>

Thanks, I'll look for it.

< Susan wrote: my occupational therapist suggested using a boat cushion at restaurants when the booth seating is too low to get back up. That might help you to. I think it's uncomfortable to sit on,too hard.>

Polar,

I am also only sitting in chairs with arms. But I would like, for example, to casually" sit in the living room. I have a 2 inch cushion on one chair, but when I get tired, it's not enough.

I also have a elevated toilet seat and frame handles. That is great.

My biggest issue with some restaurants are low armless chairs and booths.

I have seen and tried out the lift recliners. Looks like a good idea.

Thanks for the ideas.

<Polar wrote: I only sit in chairs/couches with arm rests.. Or I have someone there to help me up..My issues with restaurants is the standard height toilets and no grab bars :-( .. Love my recliner/lifter at home.. ♥ I also got the higher toilet and a versa frame for my washroom at home.>

Thanks. I wondered if there was such a device but didn't know what to call it.

<panguinjen wrote: They also make portable lift seats that have a hydraulic lift... Look for seat assists...

Jen>

Thanks.

<ltbeaut wrote: Like Jen said, search for "seat assist" They are for chairs.>

This might sound dumb but I'm sorry I don't know what a versa frame is. My dad does have the higher toilet and he loves his recliner/lifter.

I tried to add a photo without success :( .. The frames are like adding two arm rest to the toilet (They bolt onto the same bolts that hold the seat on) I got my plumber friend to pick me up steel bolts as I was worried the nylon ones might break.. They make it a lot easier to get up :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back