Diagnosis
02/2019
Country
US
State
NJ
City
MONROE
at this pace, it will have taken two years for als to render my hands virtually useless. at this time, i'll find myself in search for a new tv, computer, and possibly phone.
i've always been partial to mac computers (i was a graphic artist by trade), but i have no issue navigating around a pc or android device. i have no idea what the future
holds in terms of this disease's impact on my situation (do any of us?), so i'm hoping i could get some advice/options on what our choices are for electronics that be adapted to meet whatever needs possibly develop.
thanks!

Thanks Jessie
Here is a PDF from around a year ago that I did for some ideas. Plus a YouTube video I recently made . Might be useful for you . Good luck, Jim

Video

PDF attached

Attachments

• room adapted .pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 161
@Jimi is really our tech guru here, so definitely pay attention to what he says!

Since it sounds like you are currently an Apple user, you could look into using Apple's Voice Control functionality for now - it's an accessibility feature they offer in iOS and macOS allowing you to control navigation and dictation using your voice. It's very similar to the Dragon software, which is no longer supported on Apple products. There is a learning curve, but it's pretty useful once you get the hang of it. I found that it works great on iPhone and iPad, but it seems to bog down on macOS after using it for a while, requiring a restart. (I haven't had the time or patience to go through any trouble shooting on my macOS issues with Apple's accessibility team yet.)

I noticed the first symptom in my left hand in August 2018, I was diagnosed in August 2019. I have not been able to type or make gestures on a screen for several months, but my voice is still strong. So, Voice Control has been a great tool for me for now.

I believe Dragon for iOS is still supported on some phones, though it's a shadow of what the Mac had.

When voice is no longer an option, head control is built into iOS, if you can use that, and also available as an app called Hawkeye on later iPhones. If you can control any muscle reliably after your voice goes, you can also use a switch and operate the Mac's virtual keyboard (now built in) with an ability switch or TetraMouse.

thank you all! i've found a wealth of information on these forums. everyone is extremely helpful. the knowledge and experiences everyone shares is priceless and much appreciated. i will definitely see what mac has to offer first, but i am not going to rule out the pc/android options, especially after witnessing jimi's accomplishments. amazing work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back