Diagnosis
05/2017
Country
US
State
IA
City
Cedar Rapids
I've had an irritated throat lately - the past couple of weeks, tight, scratchy/dry. I assumed it was just a bug. It feels as though I'm losing ooomph. I don't know how else to describe it. I've been feeling a little breathless at times but I wonder if this is something or nothing?

Because I'm currently PLS, I only go to clinic every 6 months. I was seen in Dec/Jan and my breathing was truly great. Is this what progression would look like? I'm procrastinating on recording my voice, but wondering if I shouldn't get with the program.

yes, record your voice, why wait? I don't know much about the difference from ALS but I have bulbar onset and breathlessness while speaking was one of my early mysterious symptoms.

I recommend banking your voice ASAP. I waited a bit too long and unfortunately will probably have to use a Siri voice when the time comes. The cost with Model Talker is $100, and you can get that waived through a grant from Gleason Foundation.

Regarding the sore throat, you could have a respiratory virus or gastroesophageal reflux. It should get better if it’s a virus. If not, see your primary care doctor. Sounds like you should be having ALS clinic soon if you go every 6 months.

Bulbar usually starts with slurred speech, but if your respiratory function is declining, you can be breathy with speech.

Could it be allergies? This time of year.......
Is it possible for you to get a pulmonary function test locally? It really doesn't have to be a complete one, just a check of your FVC and TLC.
Hoping it's something other than progression.

I thought, for sure, I was losing my voice in 2016. Went to Mayo in panic and it ended up being acid reflux. They did a swallow test and scoped me, testing my vocal cords.

Thanks everyone for replying.

I signed up for Model Talker when it was still free. I think I reasoned I was PLS and recording my voice gave it a lot of power to be real.

The breathlessness is still occurring. Seems episodic? Morning is worst when I first wake up and then the less I talk, the better.

My last clinic was pretty great - everything looked good. I think this one is going to be disappointing. I’m dropping more with my right hand (it had started in my legs) and I suspect I’m up for a new EMG. It’s in early July so no real emergency - I’ll just wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back